Update Windows 10 VM to Windows 11

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello,

did anyone successfully update a Windows 10 VM to Windows 11? Is it possible if you just set the OS type to Windows 11/Server 2022 and add a TPM device? Any other actions required?

Thanks and best regards

Just a heads up for anyone who thinks about it:

This was my starting point: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11/fba31ff3-3d77-40db-9726-b1be540fb3b3

You first need to download the PC Health Check App
and then Windows 11 Installation Assistant

For being able to install Windows 11 following requirements need to be fulfilled:
  • Your CPU needs to be in the supported CPU list which means you need to set the CPU type to host for your guest
  • Minimum two CPU cores
  • Your system disk needs to be larger than 64GB
  • Your guest must have more than 4GB RAM
  • You need to add a TPM 2.0 state to your guest
  • Your guest must support Secure Boot meaning you need to set OVMF (UEFI) as BIOS setting and add an EFI Disk with pre-enrolled keys

Last edited:
Hello,

did anyone successfully update a Windows 10 VM to Windows 11? Is it possible if you just set the OS type to Windows 11/Server 2022 and add a TPM device? Any other actions required?

Thanks and best regards
I did it recently!

If you don't already have one, you need to also create an EFI disk. After I added the TPM and EFI disk, I ran health check to confirm it was recognized and then went through the Windows 11 upgrade process. I cloned my VM before the upgrade just in case. Be prepared to start over and rely on your clone/backup if you need to. I didn't document it, but I had some issues with getting it to boot in OVMF after the switch from SEABIOS.

I had some complications - this all started p2v (migrated a physical workstation to proxmox) and the workstation has migrated from Vista -> 7 -> 10 before it got to Proxmox, with all of the built up problems you can imagine. I got it working initially using the old SSD in SATA pass-through mode before using clonezilla to copy the disk over to my lvm. The first time I got it upgraded to 11 and re-launched, none of my old software would load (which was the only reason I kept this install around), so I wiped it and started over from my clone, which worked the second time around.

I still haven't been able to convert the disk over to SCSI from IDE which is a bummer performance wise but works fine for my purposes.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!