Update Installed -- System booted in EFI-mode but 'grub-efi-amd64' meta-package not installed!

Unknown2k

Jan 28, 2016
Good Morning,
I installed an update in ProxMox today from the GUI and I got an error that I have not seen before.

"System booted in EFI-mode but 'grub-efi-amd64' meta-package not installed!"

I have installed many updates but I have never had this mentioned before. I have NOT rebooted the system as that error doesn't sound very encouraging for a successful reboot. Has anyone seen this?

Setting up proxmox-kernel-6.5.11-6-pve-signed (6.5.11-6) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 6.5.11-6-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-6-pve
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.11-6-pve
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
System booted in EFI-mode but 'grub-efi-amd64' meta-package not installed!
Install 'grub-efi-amd64' to get updates.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/proxmox-auto-removal 6.5.11-6-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-6-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot 6.5.11-6-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-6-pve
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-proxmox-boot' in new private mount namespace..
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-systemd-boot 6.5.11-6-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-6-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 6.5.11-6-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-6-pve
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-6-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.11-6-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.11-4-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.11-4-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-19-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-19-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-18-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-18-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-15-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-15-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-14-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-14-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-12-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-12-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-10-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-10-pve
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-3-pve
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-3-pve
Found memtest86+ 64bit EFI image: /boot/memtest86+x64.efi
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done
Setting up libzpool5linux (2.2.0-pve4) ...
Setting up libzfs4linux (2.2.0-pve4) ...
Setting up zfsutils-linux (2.2.0-pve4) ...
Setting up zfs-initramfs (2.2.0-pve4) ...
Setting up proxmox-kernel-6.5 (6.5.11-6) ...
Setting up zfs-zed (2.2.0-pve4) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.36-9+deb12u3) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.11.2-2) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.142) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.11-6-pve
Running hook script 'zz-proxmox-boot'..

Your System is up-to-date

Have the same Message on two of my Nodes. I have ignored it and rebootet.... all is working fine.

Got the same message on today's kernel update (6.5.11-6-pve) and also yesterday's (6.5.11-5-pve). Don't remember seeing it before.
From the Debian packages page (https://packages.debian.org/sid/grub-efi-amd64):

Code:
This is a dependency package for a version of GRUB that has been built for use with the EFI-AMD64 architecture, as used by Intel Macs (unless a BIOS interface has been activated).
Installing this package indicates that this version of GRUB should be the active boot loader.

I'm not on an Intel Mac, mine is a 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700H.

Rebooted yesterday, with no problem.

Anybody shed some light on this?

I installed grub-efi-amd64 on a test machine made some changes in /etc/defaults/grub.cfg and reboot the system. System is started normally without any issues. If installing grub-efi-amd64 the package grub-pc is removed. System is a Dell R740XD Intel Xeon Gold based system.

Reactions: jonny5
Reactions: Cyrus
Thanks fabian for the info.

After I updated from the previous kernal to 6.5.11-6-pve (8.1.3) I too got this message, rebooted and all seems well. I oringally started out from 8.0.4.

To keep my pve tip top would it be advised to run the the update as you provided in the link? I ask as the link is mentioning a bug in pve 7 which I have never installed.

Thanks and cheers

Attachments

• grub efi mode.JPG
    grub efi mode.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_7_to_8#GRUB_Might_Fail_To_Boot_From_LVM_in_UEFI_Mode

older versions of the installer installed the wrong grub-meta package for EFI systems, which would lead to the grub efi binaries on the ESP not being updated when the grub packages got upgraded.
The node I refer to above, is a fresh install of PVE 8.0 now updated to current version.
Should I install "grub-efi-amd64"?. My machine boots ok. The only thing is the above warning during the update:

Code:

Is it safe?

yes, the recommendation is to install the matching grub package for your boot mode (if booting using grub), else you won't get any updates to the actual *installed* grub binaries that are used when booting, even if the grub packages are upgraded.

Reactions: BerndA and RonV42
yes, the recommendation is to install the matching grub package for your boot mode (if booting using grub), else you won't get any updates to the actual *installed* grub binaries that are used when booting, even if the grub packages are upgraded.
Thanks. Speedy reply!

So I should just:
Code:
apt install grub-efi-amd64
And I should be good to go, without anymore messing?

Thanks for the confirmation/clarification. Most appreciated.

I just ran from the link and rebooted.

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && apt install grub-efi-amd64

Last edited:
I assume I'm using grub, (running headless, and I don't remember clearly from the install!)
I assume the following confirms Grub:
Code:
efibootmgr -v:

BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001
Boot0000* proxmox       HD(2,GPT,9cbeef3c-23f6-4dec-89ca-dc71a7bf1903,0x800,0x200000)/File(\EFI\proxmox\grubx64.efi)
Boot0001* UEFI OS       HD(2,GPT,9cbeef3c-23f6-4dec-89ca-dc71a7bf1903,0x800,0x200000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)..BO

So do I just enter from shell?

Code:
apt install grub-efi-amd64

good morning, got the same message too, but instead of searching for solutions first I just simply installed grub-efi-amd64

Now i tumbled over this thread, and saw that there are commands infront of this. Should i reexecute

Code:
[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && apt install grub-efi-amd64

or just leave it as it is now due i already installed it with apt install grub-efi-amd64

greetings

no, the first command is just a safeguard against executing on non-EFI systems, the end-result is the same with or without if your system is booted using EFI!

Reactions: BerndA and wario
I had installed the package as suggested the first time and my system did not boot successfully afterwards. It was only booting in the GRUB Rescue. I ended up re-installing Proxmox again using a v7.4 iso.

Now that everything is up and running, I am seeing this message again about installing the package. This is what appears:

No /etc/kernel/proxmox-boot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync. System booted in EFI-mode but 'grub-efi-amd64' meta-package not installed! Install 'grub-efi-amd64' to get updates.

I am running Proxmox on an old PC that has a Gigayte X58A-UD3R v2.0 motherboard and I am 100% certain that it does not use EFI to boot. So should I just ignore this message?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!