UPDATE FROM 6.X To 8.X

kalidos

Jul 31, 2023
Hello,

I updated my proxmox VE 6.4 to 8 after that update aborted and when i rebooted , i was unable to login through terminal or web

the terminal shows :
"Debian GNU/Linux 12 MYPVE tty1
MYPVE login : root

Login incorrect"
when i try to login with root.

Last edited:
did you follow the upgrade guide(s)? in particular, upgrading straight from 6 to 8 is not supported..

did you follow the upgrade guide(s)? in particular, upgrading straight from 6 to 8 is not supported..
yes i found that (upgrading straight from 6 to 8 is not supported) after i did the update
can i repair or recover the server?

Last edited:
yes i found that (upgrading straight from 6 to 8 is not supported) after i did the update
can i repair or recover the server?
I guess you have VM-Backup/vzdump of your VMs.... reinstall PVE 8 and restore your VMs or reinstall 6.4,r restore your VMs.. Update to 7.4 and then to 8.x....

I guess you have VM-Backup/vzdump of your VMs.... reinstall PVE 8 and restore your VMs or reinstall 6.4,r restore your VMs.. Update to 7.4 and then to 8.x....
i dont have a recent backup. is there a way to recover the PVE Server or to get access to the vms ?

Last edited:
please post what the current state of the system is:
- if the boot fails, post as much information as you can (logs, error messages, ..)
- if it boots, but services fail, post the output of
-- pveversion -v
-- systemctl status
-- journalctl -b

thanks!

please post what the current state of the system is:
- if the boot fails, post as much information as you can (logs, error messages, ..)
- if it boots, but services fail, post the output of
-- pveversion -v
-- systemctl status
-- journalctl -b

thanks!
"
Setting up libgcc-s1:amd64 (12.2.0-14) ...
Setting up libc6:amd64 (2.36-9+deb12u1) ...
/usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package libc6:amd64 (--configure):
installed libc6:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
libc6:amd64
Log ended: 2023-07-27 11:47:13
"
Here is the part of log that indicate the error

i dont have a recent backup. is there a way to recover the PVE Server or to get access to the vms ?
That depends on your backing store for your vms, but most likely yes.

If all you want is access to the VMs (eg, their disks) just boot with a livecd that can mount your backing store, but for full functionality what I would do in this case is install pve8 from scratch, copy the vmid.conf from your backup, and connect the vm disks present on your backing store. What this will accomplish is the quickest way back to production, without any data loss. I hope it goes without saying that you do NOT touch your original backing store when installing pve.

This may also be a good time to refresh your backup strategy ;)

Reactions: kalidos
"
Setting up libgcc-s1:amd64 (12.2.0-14) ...
Setting up libc6:amd64 (2.36-9+deb12u1) ...
/usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package libc6:amd64 (--configure):
installed libc6:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
libc6:amd64
Log ended: 2023-07-27 11:47:13
"
Here is the part of log that indicate the error

you could try manually unpacking the libcrypt1 package and then continue with the upgrade.. but it probably won't be easy to finish this upgrade with back and forth via the forum, you might want to get help from an experienced Debian sysadmin that you trust that helps you..

Reactions: kalidos

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!