[SOLVED] Unsupported sfp module

Morphushka

Jun 25, 2019
Syberia
Hello. I have fresh installation (server1) with proxmox and 10G net adapter intel x520-da.
Also I have already working installation (server2) with same 10G net adapter intel x520-da.

server1 - pve-manager/6.2-15/48bd51b6 (running kernel: 5.4.73-1-pve)
tell in dmesg "ixgbe failed to load because an unsupported SFP+ module type was detected." I solved it with "ixgbe.allow_unsupported_sfp=1"

server2 - pve-manager/6.2-4/9824574a (running kernel: 5.4.34-1-pve)
But here is no this error.

Both shows same adapters Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
Modules are identical too.

1) Why server1 has this error, but server2 not ? What is difference ?
2) Is it safa to solve problem with "ixgbe.allow_unsupported_sfp=1" ?

1) Why server1 has this error, but server2 not ? What is difference ?
my guess - different SFP+modules? (you can try to swap the SPF+modules and see if then the other server does not get a link)

else sometimes the NIC-firmware also treats different modules differently

2) Is it safa to solve problem with "ixgbe.allow_unsupported_sfp=1" ?
as the parameter name indicates - intel does not support these modules (since they did not test them ) - however until now I have not seen/heard of a case where this parameter caused problems (if you want to be on the safe side - just buy supported SFP+ modules)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!