Unofficial updater script for Proxmox VE (HOST / LXC / VM )

@tempacc346235 thank you for your understanding so much :)

You are absolutely right, but this discussion, I had now for the second time, ... By the way I like Proxmox, and I don't want any trouble with the staff, so its not so hard to rename the project. Its almost finished now, only need to upload to git :)

I don't want to talk about any right issues in future, and hope with the name changing all staffs are silent then, ... the office was ok with the texting in readme, only @tom seems not really happy with the script. Because of, ... I don't know exactly ... it is his job to push all away, what could destroy a Proxmox VE.

But I (and I think a lot of other people also) want to update there Servers with less stressnes.

If there are people who don't want to risk a crash - they sould "never change a running system" and risk security issues because of an outdated system.

I respect all of your comments and security tips to make the script better and better, without risking any crashes - but hey I'm no god, and I could make also mistakes by my self, ... (I try not to :D )
So I wrode in readme the warning to all of you ;)

Chears :)
Screenshot_20231219_165917.png

Last edited:
Reactions: esi_y
the office was ok with the texting in readme

keep the emails ...

But I (and I think a lot of other people also) want to update there Servers with less stressnes.

such tool has been missing, of course anything can have bugs in it, look at Bugzilla of Proxmox products itself ...

If there are people who don't want to risk a crash - they sould "never change a running system" and risk security issues because of an outdated system.

maybe another missing tool is to have a streamlined backup of the PVE cluster itself ... which is why someone is nervous at Proxmox ... idk I do not run anything critical without backups

I respect all of your comments and security tips to make the script better and better, without risking any crashes - but hey I'm no god, and I could make also mistakes by my self, ... (I try not to :D )
So I wrode in readme the warning to all of you ;)

whole open source world is full of disclaimers that use is at everyone's own risk ... and so is downloading shell scripts off github ... people are somehow allergic seeing curl | sh, but the same people let the default login user be root, so much for real concern

;)

Last edited:
maybe another missing tool is to have a streamlined backup of the PVE cluster itself ... which is why someone is nervous at Proxmox ... idk I do not run anything critical without backups
Because of this, I made backups all 2 days (at night) and hold 3 of them for issue resolving.
For a productive system, all of you should make this also, if u use my script, and also if not.

Since v4.0 my script make snapshots, if the storage support it, before the update run. Otherwise it could make a real backup (could take long time and must activate by user - in config).

Also more security and stability for all of you ;)

I know, if you run an webserver and don't want downtime - u must updates on another way. My script can not respect downtime - the script only make apt updates ;)
I eaven no web hoster, and don't know how they manage a system wide stability - several redundant systems maybe? This could also be a backup solution, ...

Don't know, but if you (all of you) need a extreamly stable system I think Proxmox is not the right solution - don't understand me false - I like Proxmox, for me it work great! But I "only" run Smarthome - Abdlocker - NAS - Proxy etc, ... Not an Industrial System :)

I know, if you run an webserver and don't want downtime - u must updates on another way. My script can not respect downtime - the script only make apt updates ;)
I eaven no web hoster, and don't know how they manage a system wide stability - several redundant systems maybe? This could also be a backup solution, ...

Have an architect and run your thing on k8s (PVE or not, does not matter). Or at least run multiple instances and have adaptive load-balancer with some watchdog.

Name change done in v4.0.1

have a look here

only the screenshot mus be change

Proxmox Updater is now "Ultimative Updater for Proxmox VE"

Last edited:
Name change done in v4.0.1

have a look here

only the screenshot mus be change

Proxmox Updater is now "Ultimative Updater for Proxmox VE"

You may want to make the /root/Proxmox-Updater path more modular, not just for the branding dispute sake, but generally (for a user to choose even?) ...

EDIT: PVE shoves theirs into /usr/{bin,sbin}, you may want to go to /usr/local/sbin

Last edited:
Is there a way to either control or disable snapshots when running an update? I want to automatically prune older snapshots. Or would it be possible to use cv4pve-autosnap to prune older snapshots that were created by the updater script automatically?

Hi @raidflex,

snapshot disable is possible with v4.0.3 (beta)
But please be aware; because of name changing and folder changing, you need an reboot, after updating.

Code:
update beta -up

Automatic prune, I must have a look, and want do bind in ;)

Good news, could we have an option to delete the snapshot from the update before?

Mon snap, update Tue delete snap from last update create new snap, update Wed delete snap from last update create new snap, update ...

Last edited:
Good news, could we have an option to delete the snapshot from the update before?

Mon snap, update Tue delete snap from last update create new snap, update Wed delete snap from last update create new snap, update ...
sounds good. But first must to figure out, how to delete a snapshot ;)

UPDATE:
build in, with latest beta (v4.0.4) - but not tested for now. :)

Last edited:
Hi @raidflex,

snapshot disable is possible with v4.0.3 (beta)
But please be aware; because of name changing and folder changing, you need an reboot, after updating.

Code:
update beta -up

Automatic prune, I must have a look, and want do bind in ;)

Thanks I will check out the beta.

Reactions: BassT
Thank you for the script. As im using Proxmox at my home server / lab, for multiple VM/CT this is really nice. I was in the process of updating CTs manually and i got to two before googling an automatic way of doing it.
I believe its better to mass-update it than never doing updates which probably would have been the case here for months. So rather it crash with something on something one day than having vulnerabilities.
(also, for example, im auto updating all of my windows servers automatically and have always done that. Would never thought not to do that, so of course i'll be using this).

Heck, i would even consider this in production to be sure to be compliant on updates.

Great work, thanks!

Reactions: BassT
Automating updates can indeed help maintain security and compliance, especially when managing multiple VMs/CTs. Just remember to have a good backup strategy in place, as even automated processes can sometimes encounter issues.
You can use my script in automode. Not so secure, but possible ;)
Create a cronjob for "update -s" (-s = silent/headless mode)

But please be warned: updating a system could make strange things, ...

Hey, thank you for this script. I´m using it for a while now! I updated to Beta few days ago to get rid of snapshots but I cannot find the config file anymore?

v4.1 released

Screenshot_20240407_095611.png

!! Because of name and directory changing, you need an restart of the node, after update !!

Extras:
- name changing ("Proxmox Updater" is now "The Ultimate Updater for Proxmox VE")
- disable/enable Snapshots and Backups in config file
- set, how many snapshots will be keep, in config file
- delete old (Update_) snapshots
- move program to correct folder system
- edit config file, for better usage
- update-check can now be better set (in config file)
- support Docker Compose v1 and v2

Fixed:
- bug fixing

Last edited:
Reactions: XMarcR and matt69

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!