Unattended-Upgrades for Proxmox Host (Security + PVE-Updates)

Noah0302

Jul 21, 2022
Hello everyone,

I was trying to find the recommended way of configuring Unattended-Upgrades on my Proxmox-Hosts, but was not able to find conclusive Results...

I was trying to get 2 different Configurations to work, installing the following Updates automatically:
  • Test PVE-Node: Debian (Bookworm, Bookworm-Updates, Bookworm-Security), Proxmox (PVE-No-Subscription), Ceph (No-Subscription)
  • Main PVE-Cluster: Debian (Bookworm-Security)
Summary: I want my Test-PVE to install all Updates automatically, the same that would be installed via apt update && apt dist-upgrade. My Main PVE-Cluster Nodes should only install Security-Updates automatically, leaving bigger Updates to be installed manually.

Currently I have this written in my /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades:
Code:
        "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename},label=Debian-Security";
        "origin=Debian,codename=${distro_codename}-security,label=Debian-Security";

Could anyone help me with those 2 different Configurations? Maybe someone here already has it configured like I plan on doing.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
What would I need to add to the unattended upgrades config to install them automatically?
I haven't done it for PVE (and never will), but this is how it should work. The problem is finding out the PVE-specific pattern.

I do only automatic updates with machines, I can live without. If your machines all don't come back online due to a kernel problem, you're automatically in deep trouble. Therefore I manually install only those security updates that'll be exploitable in some way (remote kernel execution, and SSL/SSH-related stuff). Just updating everything may be too much distruption in your service.

Reactions: Noah0302
If your machines all don't come back online due to a kernel problem, you're automatically in deep trouble.
An example of this - recent userland multipath-tools update to address a security issue. While it addressed the issue, the packaging got broken and missed a critical file for new installs (this has since been addressed in later Debian releases). There is always a risk to software update, doubly so for unattended one.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...ultipath-attached-storage.128811/#post-563633

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Reactions: Noah0302
I haven't done it for PVE (and never will), but this is how it should work. The problem is finding out the PVE-specific pattern.

I do only automatic updates with machines, I can live without. If your machines all don't come back online due to a kernel problem, you're automatically in deep trouble. Therefore I manually install only those security updates that'll be exploitable in some way (remote kernel execution, and SSL/SSH-related stuff). Just updating everything may be too much distruption in your service.
Yeah not easy to balance between
  • effort for manual updates/upgrade
  • security patches as soon as possible
  • potential risk of kernel update failing
in small setup (less than 5 machines) I would do it also manually. In bigger env maybe a staged approach. How I plan it is that a
- bunch of less critical machines will get automatic upgrades & reboot e.g. always week one of the month.
- Medium critical reboot one week later - which can be stopped in case first stage shows issues.
- Critical ones manual.
This assumes that machines are pretty similar regarding hardware and software setup.

But a short question if I get the follwoing after an apt dist-upgrade:
Code:
Seems you installed a kernel update - Please consider rebooting
this node to activate the new kernel.

should there then not a file under /var/run showing that a reboot is required?
Code:
# ls -la /var/run/reboot-required
ls: cannot access '/var/run/reboot-required': No such file or directory

note: now using needrestart tool which works great.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!