[SOLVED] Unable to Start VM - Storage X does not exist.

bwestrup777

Mar 28, 2012
Just thought I'd share this:

Was having an issue starting VMs that I had backed up from one node and restored to another (non-cluster). All of the VMs were complaining that the NAS storage didn't exist and were refusing to start. I didn't realize, until now, that because it is a NAS (NFS Files share), it was automatically setup as shared storage when I created it on the 1st node. I had already added the NAS to the new node, but had changed the name to be more descriptive. Simply adding another instance of the storage with the exact same name as on the 1st node, got the VMs to all start working/starting.

The take away: Be aware of shared storage when moving VMs between nodes. It can and will cause your VMs to not start, if not present

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!