Unable to start ubuntu VM trying to passthrough a google coral TPU

epicurean

Jun 21, 2021
I have a google coral tpu in wyse 5070 (CPU J4125) that I am trying to passthrough to ubuntu VM. The VM cannot start if I add the coral TPU.
The wyse is running proxmox 8.02
This is the error message
vfio-pci 0000:02:00.0: unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible

Any help appreciated! thanks

is this related to google coral TPU being a A+E M.2 or mini pcie format?
Probably not. Maybe it's your motherboard or motherboard BIOS? Or the device does not reset properly and maybe early binding to vfio-pci helps?
Alternatlively, run Ubuntu as a container and load the driver on the Proxmox host like some other people on this forum appear to have done?

EDIT: Maybe this thread can help you?

Last edited:
Just wanna update that I can at least get the ubuntu VM to boot by

by adding host kernel boot argument pcie_port_pm=off to /etc/default/grub

Reactions: leesteken
the coral stuff is bit tricky.. there is few post about the way to pass on esxi, i think from 2-3 weeks ago. dig over there to see setting to have into your win vm. Of course if you new to passthrough, try with any other device first.

@epicurean, any luck? I am literally doing the same thing on Wyse 5070 and hitting the same issue.

I finally got it to boot up by adding this to kernel cmd line:

pcie_port_pm=off

This is my entire cmdline:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 modprobe.blacklist=apex,gasket vfio-pci.ids=1ac1:089a kvm.ignore_msrs=1 pcie_aspm=off pcie_port_pm=off"

I still need to see how much did the power draw increase but now my VMs see the TPU.

@epicurean, any luck? I am literally doing the same thing on Wyse 5070 and hitting the same issue.

I finally got it to boot up by adding this to kernel cmd line:

pcie_port_pm=off

This is my entire cmdline:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 modprobe.blacklist=apex,gasket vfio-pci.ids=1ac1:089a kvm.ignore_msrs=1 pcie_aspm=off pcie_port_pm=off"

I still need to see how much did the power draw increase but now my VMs see the TPU.
OMG Thank you!!!

In my case :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet intel_iommu=on pcie_aspm=off pcie_port_pm=off consoleblank=300"

and it finally works!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!