Unable to select storage when creating VM

oti-pa

Feb 1, 2023
Hello.

I was trying to create a VM in the Proxmox WebGUI,
I get "communication failure (0)" on the storage selection screen and cannot select any storage.
Cap1.png

Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

please check the status of systemctl status pveproxy.service pvestatd.service. Also, are there any errors in the journal? You can get a paged output of the journal since boot in reverse order by running journalctl -b -r

Hello,

I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you for your answer.
The status of pveproxy.service pvestatd.service was active.
After stopping the server due to a wiring problem at the installation site and starting it up again, I performed VM machine creation again and this time the storage selection screen appeared and it became possible to select.
We will keep an eye on the situation for a while, but if the problem recurs, we will retrieve the journal information.

Thank you very much for your support!

Hello.

I thought I had fixed the problem, but it has recurred.
I have collected the journal.

Jul 22 12:32:30 kernel: I/O error, dev sdp, sector 4198400 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 32 prio class 0 Jul 22 12:32:30 kernel: sd 7:0:0:15: [sdp] tag#49 access beyond end of device Jul 22 12:32:30 kernel: I/O error, dev sdp, sector 4096 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 32 prio class 0 Jul 22 12:32:30 kernel: sd 7:0:0:15: [sdp] tag#48 access beyond end of device Jul 22 12:32:30 kernel: sd 7:0:0:7: [sdt] Add. Sense: Logical unit not supported Jul 22 12:32:30 kernel: sd 7:0:0:7: [sdt] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current] Jul 22 12:32:30 kernel: sd 7:0:0:7: [sdt] Read Capacity(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_OK

After a while, the I/O error seemed to be resolved, but I was getting "proxy detected vanished client connection".

Jul 22 22:54:25 pveproxy[6471]: proxy detected vanished client connection Jul 22 22:54:25 pveproxy[5320]: proxy detected vanished client connection

We apologise for the trouble, but any help you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Hello.

We were able to resolve the issue.

As for the details of the change, the current environment is a cluster configuration of three physical machines, sharing a NAS as storage via an iSCSI connection.

The problem was resolved by disabling "local" and "local-lvm" storage from the storage settings in the data center menu.

We hope the information is helpful.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!