Unable to restore VM

Proksie_1

Jul 14, 2021
I removed a VM in PVE 7 and wanted to restore it from the Proxmox Backup Server.
then I get this output in the taskviewer:

Rounding up size to full physical extent 4.00 MiB
Logical volume "vm-103-disk-0" created.
new volume ID is 'VM1:vm-103-disk-0'
WARNING: gpt signature detected on /dev/VM1/vm-103-disk-1 at offset 512. Wipe it? [y/n]: [n]
Aborted wiping of gpt.
1 existing signature left on the device.
Failed to wipe signatures on logical volume VM1/vm-103-disk-1.
Renamed "vm-103-disk-0" to "del-vm-103-disk-0" in volume group "VM1"
temporary volume 'VM1:vm-103-disk-0' sucessfuly removed
trying to acquire lock...
OK
error before or during data restore, some or all disks were not completely restored. VM 103 state is NOT cleaned up.
TASK ERROR: lvcreate 'VM1/vm-103-disk-1' error: Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.

I read something about "saferemove" and added that to /etc/pve/storage.cfg

lvm: VM1
vgname VM1
content rootdir,images
saferemove
nodes pve

After this restore is stil mot possible and gives the same error.

What can I do to fix this?

When I try to reach the vm-103-disk-1 :

root@pve:~# cd /dev/VM1/vm-103-disk-1
-bash: cd: /dev/VM1/vm-103-disk-1: No such file or directory

It is not there...??

Clueless
The upgrade from 6.4 to 7 has given me some hard times sofar...

EDIT:
Also
changed
saferemove to saferemove 1 as mentioned here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pvesm.1.html

Then rebooted PVE ...

Same error :(

Last edited:
Hallo,

I get the the same error with a new installed Proxmox 7 version and existing ISCSI Target.
Does anybody know what goes wrong here?

regards

Hallo again,

I solved the Problem.
There were some orphan disks from old VMs.

I delete these disks, wait some minutes and now the restore works :)

regards

I also have this problem, not sure where to go with it, will keep playing.
This seems to be something common lately as I'm having the same issue. Can't create a new VM because it keeps saying "Error: Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV."

I have checked my /dev/local-LVM and I see only disks for my other VMs, does not appear to be any orphans out there. I'm out of ideas!!

This seems to be something common lately as I'm having the same issue. Can't create a new VM because it keeps saying "Error: Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV."

I have checked my /dev/local-LVM and I see only disks for my other VMs, does not appear to be any orphans out there. I'm out of ideas!!
Me too, luckily my setup is quite simple, just in the process of wiping all 3 hdds and starting again.

Me too, luckily my setup is quite simple, just in the process of wiping all 3 hdds and starting again.
Just got it after deleting partitions, recreating and reinstalling, have to write 0’s to all the hdds too? Is there a way of just getting it to default to Y when it detects signatures? Would that resolve it?, so confused.

I just fixed mine thanks to another user on this forum. Basically I had to add the "no-subscription" repo and remove the enterprise repo. Updated everything and now it's working fine. Pumped up!

Reactions: adjrobinson
I just fixed mine thanks to another user on this forum. Basically I had to add the "no-subscription" repo and remove the enterprise repo. Updated everything and now it's working fine. Pumped up!
It has worked for me too, thanks so much!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!