Unable to release space in server

powersupport

Jan 18, 2020
Hi,
I am trying to release space in the backup server and removed some backups, but still, there are no changes, also, since the disk is 100% used, I am not able to initiate the prune job

Anyone can advise on this?

Thank you.

Prune will only delete some KBs/MBs of index files. The GBs/TBs of data are the chunks and those will only be deleted by a GC and there need to be 24 hours + 5 minutes or more between the prune and the GC. And with a 100% full datastore you probably won't be able to run a GC as lock files won't be able to be created and so on.

First I would disable all backup jobs so now new backups will fill the datastore again.

Then there are several options:
A.) If you care about your backups, buy more disks and expand your storage in case you use something like ZFS as the backing storage
B.) alternatively move the whole datastore folder to a bigger storage (for example a NAS), prune + GC it and move it back
C.) if you don't care about your backups, delete some index files to get a few KBs/MBs of free space (those backups will be lost) and hope that this is enough to run a GC. In case PBS and the datastore share the same filesystem, you could try first to delete some unimportant files like logs.
D.) if you don't need any of those backup, delete the datastore and create a new empty one

And for the future should set up proper monitoring (for example Zabbix with the PBS template) and use quotas, so this won't be able to happen again.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!