Unable to Install Windows2k19 - no hard drive are getting recognised by the installation process! Need Help!

barrynza

Dec 5, 2020
Hi Everyone,

First of all, thanks for reading this help question?

During installation of Win2k19 no matter what i choose for hdd - IDE / SATA / SCSI (intersted to use) doesnt recognise the virtual hdd - pulling my hair out why, i have used the extra iso for virtio-1.9 also 1.89 also 1.85 no drivers can be found under virscsi folder nor any other folder.

Any ideas? Should i downgrade just not helpful with proxmox having such an instable upgrade?

Hmm, this should work quite well. Some ideas:

Did you select "Windows" as OS Type? (Option panel)

IDE and SATA disks should be recognized right away. To use SCSI with the VirtIO SCSI Controller or Virtio Block during installation you have the second ISO with the Virtio image right?

Where do you point the installer to during the disk selection step to look for drivers? Should be D:\vioscsi\2k19\amd64, if the virtio ISO is the D: drive.

If that does not work, can you please post the config of the VM? qm config <VMID>

Have you tried to redownload the Windows ISO? Maybe it got corrupted.

Hmm, this should work quite well. Some ideas:

Did you select "Windows" as OS Type? (Option panel)

IDE and SATA disks should be recognized right away. To use SCSI with the VirtIO SCSI Controller or Virtio Block during installation you have the second ISO with the Virtio image right?

Where do you point the installer to during the disk selection step to look for drivers? Should be D:\vioscsi\2k19\amd64, if the virtio ISO is the D: drive.

If that does not work, can you please post the config of the VM? qm config <VMID>

Have you tried to redownload the Windows ISO? Maybe it got corrupted.
Thanks for Responding aaron - Yes i did - Win2k19 folder as you mentioned still cant find any drivers, here aer the details of vmid: 1608709940380.png
1608709980296.png
1608710035005.png

Nothing

1608710064197.png

Well, with the current setup there is no SCSI disk present. You would need to change the disk in ide0 to scsi0. If you really don't the disks or the drivers, try to redownload the ISOs (Windows, virtio drivers). Maybe something got corrupted there.

Reactions: barrynza
Well, with the current setup there is no SCSI disk present. You would need to change the disk in ide0 to scsi0. If you really don't the disks or the drivers, try to redownload the ISOs (Windows, virtio drivers). Maybe something got corrupted there.
thanks aaron, you may be right on this, sorry i gave you bad screenshot but same happens with scsi as well, final test is to re-download the iso as i'm doubting on that too. will resond soon thanks a lot.

thanks aaron, you may be right on this, sorry i gave you bad screenshot but same happens with scsi as well, final test is to re-download the iso as i'm doubting on that too. will resond soon thanks a lot.
Corrupt ISO caused a problem to install the inf drivers you were right guessing thanks aaron. Love Proxmox - i see a lot of future on this platform hope they surpass expensive esxi ;).

Reactions: aaron
No i have this issue which is also making me so suspicious about the version of proxmox, same problem happened on all win2k servers i have installed, cannot run oin c drive due to the error seen below:

1608762803757.png

No i have this issue which is also making me so suspicious about the version of proxmox, same problem happened on all win2k servers i have installed, cannot run on c drive due to the error seen below:

View attachment 22292
When i go to task manager then run then c: this message appears - the browse to drives also doesnt work any ideas?

Last edited:
Looks like you are running a windows "core" server.
There is limited graphics and also no file explorer.
Make sure you install the system with "graphical experience".
Sine many versions the default of the installer is the " core " version. If you just hit 'enter' this is what you get.

Reactions: aaron
Corrupt ISO caused a problem to install the inf drivers you were right guessing thanks aaron. Love Proxmox - i see a lot of future on this platform hope they surpass expensive esxi ;).
Glad to hear that you were able to solve that problem. Please consider marking the thread as "solved" by editing the first post and selecting the prefix from the drop down menu next to the title :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!