Unable to install PBS on Dell R240. Hangs at initial ramdisk

syce

Jan 9, 2024
Update: I ended up installing Debian 12 and installed OpenZFS as well as PBS on top. Everything is humming along. I'm still on 6.1.0-17 kernel so I'm betting I will run into trouble when it comes time to update but I'll just kick that can down the road lol Just wanted to update in case someone else has this issue. If someone has some input into the original issue please chime in. I'd still prefer to start with a clean PBS install.

Hey everyone. I've hit a wall installing Proxmox Backup Server on my Dell Poweredge R240.

It always hangs at "loading initial ramdisk". I am installing PBS on a BOSS S1 RAID card running RAID 1 (default and cannot be changed as it's the intended purpose of this card). I'm currently running PVE on a Dell R440 on a BOSS S1 card and it's been running great for months.

Server specs:
Dell R240, two 3.5" bays. (not the 4 bay chassis)
Xeon E-2124
64gb ECC
No HBA, just onboard PERC S140 SATA. No SATA drives installed

Troubleshooting I've done:
I've tried off a USB drive as well as mounting virtual media via iDRAC.
Secure boot is disabled in BIOS and on the BOSS card.
I've been able to install Windows, Ubuntu, and Debian just fine.
I installed vanilla Debian and then installed PBS via APT. Installs fine and web GUI is up. However, if I reboot it then hangs at the same "loading initial ramdisk"
I ran Memtest overnight and multiple passes came back good.
The server is completely up to date

I'm really at a loss here and out of things to troubleshoot. The R240 is pretty similar to the R440 outside of specs obviously so I'm just really confused where these issues are coming from.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Try to disable X2APIC in the BIOS. There's something with some Dell servers and the installer of PBS / PVE for the latests versions. Take a look here for more information:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-8-0-and-8-1-hangs-on-boot.137033/post-620284
OMG. I'll have to try this later but this appears to be the fix. I wish I could send a kiss over the internet. Thank you so much, I've been tearing my hair out. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you again!

Edit: Worked like a charm. Thank you!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!