[SOLVED] Unable to install on Ryzen APU (2400G)

WillGFC

Oct 4, 2020
I recently updated my daily workstation and was planning to use the old hardware to replace my current home server (an old and underpowered Atom D510 box)

It's running Ubuntu Server 16.04 right now because updating from 14.04-16.04 broke so much that I couldn't face going through it again, so my plan this time was to virtualise the server top give me more flexibility to tinker and try new setups knowing I can roll back to a working snapshot.

I intended to use Proxmox and tried to install it last week but hit a wall with what I think was a graphical problem related to the fact I'm running on a 2400G. I had issues last year installing Manjaro but iirc I got past it by using the nomodeset kernel option and getting the amd drivers installed.

I've tried the same with Proxmox. Removing the quiet option from the kernel options gives me a bit more text (none relevant) but I still end up with a black screen.
Adding nomodeset gets me right through to aquiring a DHCP address then the install aborts.

DMESG shows a bit, with the important bit (i think) being "vgacon disables amdgpu kernel modesetting".

Is there any way past this except for installing a dedicated GPU?

I'll probably eventually be upgrading the processor to one without integrated graphics, so a dedicated GPU will be installed at the same time, but at the minute I don't have a spare one to hand and was hoping to start getting all my services and storages etc set up because even the 2400G will be light years better than the old Atom box.

Any ideas?

I've searched and I've seen a lot of people saying they've successfully installed Proxmox on a 2400G based system, but it's clear there's something incompatible here that will likely be resolved if I can get the amd drivers installed, but the installer isn't even loading to let me try that.

My Motherboard is an MSI vdh v2 b450, I only recently upgraded the firmware (2 or 3 weeks) before I swapped to my new MB/Processor because the plan was to upgrade to something like a 3700x or 3900x in a few months. At the minute, the motherboard might actually go too because it's a micro ATX and only has one pcie x 16 slot which I'm going to need for my SAS HBA unless I buy a pcie x1 gpu to run with the new processor.

EDIT

I had a eureka moment.

I whipped out my old monitor and connected using VGA instead of HDMI and the installer has appeared ok.

Despite my embarrassment, I'm going to leave this here in case anyone else is having issues with AMD APUs in future.

Last edited:
Reactions: FijiRed2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!