unable to create VM

Karmylr

Aug 8, 2023
I try to install Debian with debian-12.4.0-amd64-netinst.iso in pve 8.1.3. The installation failed. When I try to do it again, An error message occurred:
Code:
Formatting '/mnt/sda1/images/102/vm-102-disk-1.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 cluster_size=65536 extended_l2=off preallocation=metadata compression_type=zlib size=107374182400 lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 102 - unable to create image: qemu-img: /mnt/sda1/images/102/vm-102-disk-1.qcow2: Could not create '/mnt/sda1/images/102/vm-102-disk-1.qcow2': Read-only file system
The installation location is the newly mounted disk. Maybe I did it wrong.

Last edited:
Hello!
Can you please provide the exact step you use for creating your debian 12 vm?

Also where you downlaod your image?

And a screenshot of your storage config

Last edited:
Hello!
Can you please provide the exact step you use for creating your debian 12 vm?

Also where you downlaod your image?

And a screenshot of your storage config
The image is downloaded from debian.org. It has been confirmed that the second disk was not mounted properly. Can you tell me how to add a second disk on pve?

I followed the steps at https://youtu.be/XdBjWUBSU9g to add a disk (/dev/sda). Then created a VM (Debian 12). Failed during installation. After I deleted the disk in Debian VM, /dev/sda also disappeared. Restore after restarting pve. But after I clicked Wipe Disk I got an error(error wiping '/dev/sda': 0 bytes copied, 0.000621584 s, 0.0 kB/s)
and then /dev/sda disappeared again.
1705137044826.png1705137550872.png

Last edited:
Usually /dev/sda is the disk on which you installed Proxmox VE. Apparently Proxmox VE didn't allow you to delete it either. In this respect everything seems to be correct.

It's hard to help you if you don't know what you want. The documentation should already give you some Information and examples.

I installed Proxmox VE on sdb. The document is too difficult for me to understand. Are that video's steps wrong?

Last edited:
The document is too difficult for me to understand.
See for example "Default storage configuration (/etc/pve/storage.cfg)" at the documentation.
Are that video's steps wrong?
Since I don't rely on videos like this, I can't answer this question for you. But there will certainly be some results on Google and YouTube.

Personally, I would recommend that you flatten the server and simply reinstall it. Then your OS is on /dev/sda and you have directly set up local storage.
But first you should check your /dev/sda, the disk may be completely gone.

The documentation lists all options for creating storage. You should first be clear about what requirements you have and what you want to take. Then we can help you specifically.

Reactions: Karmylr

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!