unable to connect to X server

Softlution

Apr 12, 2023
Hi everyone.
This is my first time installing Proxmox and I get this error "unable to connect to X server: Connection timeout. I have a Tomahawk z690 ddr4 and a Aours z690 Elite ddr4 with i7-13700k. I know lots of people will say that these are not server motherboards but I didn't have any issue running Windows Server on them. I thought to try Proxmox because people were saying that it is not picky with the hardware as ESXI. I worked with ESXI but the hardware compatibility was always the issue. I have tried a few ways I found here in the forum trying to solve the problem but no luck so far. Also, I am struggling to understand how to apply changes in /var/log/xorg.org since there is not OS installed. I tried through the debug mode giving me access to a command prompt during the installation but most of the commands I find online don't work due to luck of sudo. In general, the instructions would work for people experienced in Proxmox but personally, I do not understand how and where to apply all the fixes i find online.

By default Proxmox does not install an X server. The GUI is web based. Did you do as the console message says and visit "https://your_ip_address:8006" with a browser?

What exactly are you trying to do? Asking more specific questions will get you better answers.

Reactions: Softlution

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!