Unable to connect to VM qmp socket

chrigiboy

Nov 6, 2018
Hello,

We recently upgraded our Proxmox Cluster to Version 7.
Since our upgrade we've got some problems, accessing some of the VM's Consoles.
For one specific VM, we'll always get this error message: "VM 312 qmp command 'set_password' failed - unable to connect to VM 312 qmp socket - timeout after 31 retries".
The VM itself also seems to freeze during booting. If you open the VM's Console right as you start the VM you can see the Boot process. At some point it will stop prining new console output and if you open the console tab past this point you won't be able to open it.

The last similar issue with an error message like this i could find in the forms was a Bug in Proxmox which has been fixed.
Please let me know if you need any logs. Thanks in advance.

I always get "unable to connect to VM 312 qmp socket - timeout after 31 retries" if a VM gets unresponsive. So I think that errors shows up if the hosts tries to communicate with the guest but the guest isn't answering. So you could check if your VMs are frozen for a short time and if they are try to figure out ehy that is the case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!