[SOLVED] Unable to connect to the internet inside VMs with a NAT table.

LegoMyEggo

Dec 21, 2023
I'll preface this by saying yes, I am trying to run it through Wi-Fi. Ethernet is not an option right now, I intend to run a line in a few months, but for now it's just Wi-Fi.

I installed wpasupplicant through a usb drive with dpkg and got it set up and working on PVE just fine. I am able to ping inside the network and outside, as well as access the web GUI and SSH into it from another computer. My interfaces is set up like this:

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 5.21.02 PM.png

Here is ip a:
Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 5.20.37 PM.png
wlp and vmbr both say UP, and at some point fwpr and tap were added; I guess when I created the VM and they are firewalls?

I attempted to set up NAT, but my VM is not able to connect to the network (or even ping internal computers) so there must be something wrong with that and/or the bridge.

If I run "ifup vmbr0" I get a warning stating this:
warning: vmbr0: post-up cmd 'echo > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward' failed: returned 1 (/bin/sh: 1: echo: echo: I/O error)
Perhaps that's the source of the issues? I don't know what it means by I/O error, or how I could resolve it.

I'm obviously out of my depth, so if I left off any important information that I need to add let me know. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi,

Code:
post-up echo > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
You probably meant
Code:
post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Note the 1, that's important.
That also seems like the cause of the I/O error and even the NAT problem. Writing an empty string into a sysctl indeed just throws an error and won't work.

Reactions: LegoMyEggo
That also seems like the cause of the I/O error and even the NAT problem. Writing an empty string into a sysctl indeed just throws an error and won't work.
Hah.. To think I went back through the Wlan wiki page to double check for simple errors right before posting, yet it was still a typo. I guess I was so focused on getting the NAT part correct I didn't pay enough attention to turning on forwarding.

I'll correct that and give it a try when I get home from work tonight. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I've correct the interfaces file by adding the 1, and ifup vmbr0 no longer gives a warning. However, my vm is still not able to connect. As per the wiki, I tried to add
post-up iptables -t raw -I PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
post-down iptables -t raw -D PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
below the Masquerade lines, but it did not fix the issue.

Edit: My interfaces inside the VM was also incorrect. After changing that to use my bridge's ip as gateway, and my router's ip as DNS, it now works. Thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!