unable to connect to internet

harish1500

Apr 25, 2023
hey i am very new to proxmox and i was try to install it in my old laptop but i am unable to connect it to the internet, i have connected my laptop with either net cable but still does not connect to internet when i try

Code:
ping 8.8.8.8
it shows
ping: connect: Network is unreachable

can someone help me out with this

Hi,

Can you please post the network configuration `cat /etc/network/interfaces` and the output of `ip a`?

The IP address of your Proxmox is not in the same subnet as the gateway. Is that intended? It looks like vmbr0 is not started, which I cannot explain. Does eno1 have a cable connected to it? Proxmox does not support WiFi; you'll have to set it up yourself (and it has limitations).

And there is also a typo in the gateway. I would guess that should mean "192.168.1.1" and not "92.168.1.1".

Last edited:
hey thanks for your replay, i am pretty new to all this i do not know what a subnet is, and i have connected it via ethernet cable and i won't be using wifi

hey thanks for your replay, i am pretty new to all this i do not know what a subnet is, and i have connected it via ethernet cable and i won't be using wifi
Is 92.168.1.1 really the IP address of your router? Maybe it is 192.168.1.1, which is much more common? You probably need to give your Proxmox an IP address that also starts with 192.168.1. (like 192.168.1.2 instead of 192.168.100.1) to make sure your router can route it to the internet.

i do not know what a subnet is
I don't want to offend you, but then I would recommend learning the network and Linux administration basics first. Otherwise that is like not knowing what a turn indicator is but trying to drive a car. Will be very frustrating, you might lose data that is important to you and you maybe even put yourself or other people at a risk when connecting your server to the internet.

And like leesteken already said. Try to install PVE again using a free static IP of your routers subnet that is not part of your routers DHCP IP range and then set your routers IP as the gateway and DNS server.

@Dunuin thanks for your advice, I am trying to learn about networks, and in that process, I thought first let's have a server with multiple VMs which will not have any imp stuff, I will be cautious thank you

Now you are pointing your PVE server to itself. That won't work either. Log in into your routers webUI and try to find out what the routers IP is, what your routers subnet is and what IP range the routers DHCP server is using. Without knowing that it won't work, as your PVE server needs to fit in your existing network infrastructure.

Reactions: harish1500
i tried your advice still the same
should i just reinstall it?
View attachment 49691
There is another typo: replace bridge-prts with bridge-ports. THis is probably why vmbr0 is not started. And indeed give your Proxmox a different IP address (in the same subnet), which is not used by another system on your local network. Which ones are used or can be used depends on your router settings, which you need to figure out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!