Unable to connect proxmox to internet after install

jamesking999898

Apr 20, 2024
Hi, so I just got a mini pc for a server and it’s my first time trying to install proxmox. The installation went fine, but for some reason proxmox isn't connected to the internet. I currently have an ethernet cable plugged into my router but I am unable to access the ip address website I set during install. I'm not sure what exactly the problem is though I have an idea it may have to do with the ethernet drivers not being installed? I've added some images below to show you the responses I get from common CLI commands hopefully you can help.

I’d also like to note I’ve tried pinging dns servers and my default gateway both gotten non response. And I have not seen the mini pc device on my routers devices list.

I have DHCP enabled but the IP i gave proxmox is one out of the DHCP range

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    960.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    901.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Note that Proxmox does not come with DHCP (it will not renew after installation) or WiFi (which needs a NAT setup because it cannot be used for bridges).

Please show the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces to check if you (or the Proxmox installer) configured a physical ethernet controller for vmbr0.

It looks like ip addr does not see your Realtek, but that can be explained by the fact that there is no driver loaded for it (even though r8169 is available). Did you blacklist r8169 or something? And maybe search the forum a bit for that Realtek device and known issues?

Reactions: Kingneutron
Note that Proxmox does not come with DHCP (it will not renew after installation) or WiFi (which needs a NAT setup because it cannot be used for bridges).

Please show the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces to check if you (or the Proxmox installer) configured a physical ethernet controller for vmbr0.

It looks like ip addr does not see your Realtek, but that can be explained by the fact that there is no driver loaded for it (even though r8169 is available). Did you blacklist r8169 or something? And maybe search the forum a bit for that Realtek device and known issues?
Ya so I gave proxmox an IP outside of the DHCP range so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface wlp1s0 inet manual

auto vmbro
iface mbro inet static
    address 192.168.1.98/24
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    bridge-ports wlp1s0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd o

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

I'm not sure how I would have blacklisted r8169, `lspci` doesn't even show my ethernet controller having r8169.
I have been searching the forums for an answer but I just can't find a solution. Everything seems to need internet to download supporting drivers or whatever, but I do not have that access and so I'm very lost on what to do

I'm not sure how I would have blacklisted r8169, `lspci` doesn't even show my ethernet controller having r8169.
Your second photo shows Kernel modules: r8169 in the output of lspci. Maybe this device or driver is known to be problematic on Linux in general (as Proxmox does not blacklist it specifically) or maybe it is too new and not supported yet? There are more posts about problems with Realtek devices and manual installation of drivers on this forum (and other Linux websites).
I have no personal experience with those devices but maybe someone else can help. Or just use a network controller from another brand that is known to work with Proxmox/Linux.

From my experience:
r8169 was working with PVE 7.4 but not with PVE 8.0. You then had to install the r8168 driver. But this r8168 driver won't build with newer kernels, so you have to remove the r8168 driver again and use the default r8169 driver that comes with latest PVE8.1 where it is working.

Reactions: leesteken
I'm not sure how I would install this, given that I can't conenct to the internet for an apt install
Temporarily use another network device (internal or USB or phone) or put your Proxmox drive in another system or configure WiFi for the Proxmox host (using NAT and without vmbr0) or move the required files over via a USB drive. Maybe search the forum or internet on how other people solved such a bootstrap problem.

Would getting a usb to ethernet adapter solve the issue? If so which one should I be looking for
One that isn't using the r8168 chipset...the two I got use it too, so wasn't an option here...
Best it is to always avoid all Realtek NICs as those are known to cause problems and that they are badly maintained. Better to use some Intel NICs but unluckly all those USB-NICs use those cheap Realtek chipsets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
One that isn't using the r8168 chipset...the two I got use it too, so wasn't an option here...
Best it is to always avoid all Realtek NICs as those are known to cause problems and that they are badly maintained. Better to use some Intel NICs but unluckly all those USB-NICs use those cheap Realtek chipsets.
So I got a USB dock hub with ethernet port, got proxmox connected to my router and everythings working now. But I want to use the ethernet port on my pc so I think I need to install the r8168 drivers from the proxmox CLI now in order for that to happen? Do you know of any guides or something I can read on how to do that. I tried looking but its a bit confusing

You already upgraded PVE to 8.1.10 and installed the 6.8 kernel? I would try that first. And like already said, last time I tested to install the r8168-dkms it failed to build with the later 6.5 kernel and wasn't installable.

Firstly your output you posted originally for cat /etc/network/interfaces is all messed up as you probably knew.
But anyway now that you've successfully setup & connected - just check it again - to make sure it's as should be.

Secondly - have you been able to use the onboard NIC in this Mini PC with another distro. Just try USB live booting & see if it connects.

I think you have the same issue as me - try
dmesg | grep r8169
and google the result. Looks like the device is too new and will be added to kernel 6.10

I think you have the same issue as me - try
dmesg | grep r8169
and google the result. Looks like the device is too new and will be added to kernel 6.10
ENODEV: unknown chip XID 6c0, contact r8169 maintainers (see MAINTAINERS file)

So what are we supposed to do?

ENODEV: unknown chip XID 6c0, contact r8169 maintainers (see MAINTAINERS file)

So what are we supposed to do?
If Realtek does not provide a driver that works with Linux kernel verion 6.5 or 6.8 then you need to use another network device that does work. Your hardware is too new and currently not supported by Proxmox/Ubuntu/Linux. This happens less now than in the past but it still happens. Sorry for being blunt but check Linux compatibility next time you buy hardware.

Last edited:
If Realtek does not provide a driver that works with Linux kernel verion 6.5 or 6.8 then you need to use another network device that does work. Your hardware is too new and currently not supported by Proxmox/Ubuntu/Linux. This happens less now than in the past but it still happens. Sorry for being blunt but check Linux compatibility next time you buy hardware.
So Im SOL until they update the kernel?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!