UEFI bios type not detecting debian EFI bootloader in guest VM.

chrcoluk

Renowned Member
Oct 7, 2018
So this one has me bamboozled.

I did a exotic setup in a VM mirroring one that is working fine on proxmox 7.3.

Essentially the VM is running Debian bookworm, and has a EFI bootloader on a EFI partition. When trying to boot from the VM configured to use UEFI, it will just say a vague it cannot find disk. But I then found this page.

https://record99.blogspot.com/2021/12/bdsdex-failed-to-load-boot0001-uefi-bhyve-sata-disk.html

Sure enough when I did what that blog said which is to go into the UEFI boot manager and boot from file, navigating to the EFI bootloader, the OS booted right up.

I compared the EFI partition to the working guest on proxmox 7.3 and they are an exact match in layout, size of partition and files.

Code:
/boot/efi/EFI/debian
and files
Code:
BOOTX64.CSV  fbx64.efi  grub.cfg  grubx64.efi  mmx64.efi  shimx64.efi

The problem occurs whether there is a virtual EFI disk or not, and regardless of preroll keys.

I then copied the EFI file as instructed in the blog to this path and filename.

Code:
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

Now it boots automatically.

Any idea whats going on here? the path of the files is where grub puts them, so seems odd I have to mnually move them and rename the file. Has the emulated UEFI bios changed or is this likely just coincidence?

Sounds like there is no valid boot entry on the EFI disk. This can be regenerated by running grub-install in the Debian VM.

For some background:
Since there was no boot entry pointing to EFI/debian/grubx64.efi, the EFI instead checks the fallback path EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrcoluk
Thank you, you was right.

Seems I am learning all the time, and was something about UEFI I didnt previously know and now understand why Proxmox warns about a missing EFI disk.

So the original install there was no Proxmox EFI disk, and Proxmox documentation says it makes a temporary one when it is missing.

After the install I shutdown the VM which would have wiped that temporary EFI disk, and so the Debian boot entry was lost, which meant even when I added one later it didnt fix it, until of course as you said I reinstalled the grub files, which then wrote the changes to the EFI disk.

Stupid from me, but now I understand what happened, thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!