Ubuntu 9.04 / Debian 5 + OpenVZ + FreeNX terminal server problem

irbis

Mar 22, 2010
I'm trying to set up OpenVZ terminal server using Ubuntu 9.04 and Debian 5 with FreeNX. I'm using ubuntu 9.04 precreated template from downloads.openvz.org and debian-5-xserver precreated template from proxmox.com. With ubuntu template I've installed ubuntu-desktop metapackage. Installation and connection over NX to both this systems is OK.
Problems are: when I'm starting and connection to my VE (ubuntu or debian, doesn't matter) I'm receiving error message window 'Failed to initialize HAL!' at my VE system desktop and at first start of VE I've received a bunch of messages connected with unability to start some desktop plugins.
When I'm closing all this error message windows system works fine but I foresee problems with hardware (USB over network, for example) in the future and scare of users of my terminal server when they will see these messages.
So, how can I solve this problems? Any ideas?

Why not? For example, I can give VE access to specified USB port (http://wiki.openvz.org/USB_Printing_in_VE).
But I want to solve/avoid problem with HAL.

You can enable certain device, yes. But the HAL library seems to use the sysfs/proc to gather info about the hardware, and OpenVZ does not allow to access that (just a guess).

You can enable certain device, yes. But the HAL library seems to use the sysfs/proc to gather info about the hardware, and OpenVZ does not allow to access that (just a guess).
So, how can I disable HAL?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!