Turnkey File Server RAM and CPU usage constantly increasing

chris2000

Mar 4, 2024
Hello,

Newbie here. I added the above container as NAS to store mainly recordings from 12 cameras and a couple of daily backups. I'm wondering if it's normal that the RAM usage is slowly increasing to capacity or if there is anything wrong. Same for the CPU, although the percentage is still low:
1709551363226.png

The RAM usage info looks like this:
1709551341311.png

Is this expected?

Thanks a lot

More than likely it's caching. If the fileserver is heavily used, you should maybe give it more resources.
Try bumping it to 768MB RAM or 1Gig

Is the container ingesting the recordings from (12) cameras in realtime??

You don't need to worry about CPU usage unless it's using 80%+ all the time, or file copies start slowing down. In that case I would give it 2xCPU (and maybe check for a runaway process)

More than likely it's caching. If the fileserver is heavily used, you should maybe give it more resources.
Try bumping it to 768MB RAM or 1Gig

Is the container ingesting the recordings from (12) cameras in realtime??

You don't need to worry about CPU usage unless it's using 80%+ all the time, or file copies start slowing down. In that case I would give it 2xCPU (and maybe check for a runaway process)

Ok, thanks. What happens if the RAM becomes full?

Well, the 12 cameras go through Frigate, which determines what needs to be recorded. So it's highly unlikely that all 12 are recording at the same time... I'd say 4-5 max.

Ok, thanks. What happens if the RAM becomes full?

Well, the 12 cameras go through Frigate, which determines what needs to be recorded. So it's highly unlikely that all 12 are recording at the same time... I'd say 4-5 max.

> What happens if the RAM becomes full?

I have no idea if containers implement OOM-killer, but don't you think 512MB RAM + swap (the MINIMUM defaults) is a bit stingy for live-streaming camera ingestion? This isn't 1998, we have resources to spare these days -- and you're running a server, not a potato.

I'd bump up the RAM to at least ~1.5GB and give it 2xCPU, and keep a close eye on it for about a week. And do some tests with all 12 streaming at once - you need to postulate worst case scenario, not best-case or even average-case.
And make sure the container doesn't run out of disk space.

> What happens if the RAM becomes full?

I have no idea if containers implement OOM-killer, but don't you think 512MB RAM + swap (the MINIMUM defaults) is a bit stingy for live-streaming camera ingestion? This isn't 1998, we have resources to spare these days -- and you're running a server, not a potato.

I'd bump up the RAM to at least ~1.5GB and give it 2xCPU, and keep a close eye on it for about a week. And do some tests with all 12 streaming at once - you need to postulate worst case scenario, not best-case or even average-case.
And make sure the container doesn't run out of disk space.
Got it, thanks for the scolding :)

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!