Trying to use VMware image with proxmox

wisem2540

Dec 7, 2011
Hello,

Firstly let me say that I am pretty new to proxmox. I use proxmox as a test environment at work. We are trying to demo Dell KACE which comes only as a VMware image.

I want to be able to boot this image up on a proxmox "machine." From what I understand, KACE is its own self-contained appliance, so im not sure what, if any, OS that runs under it.

So here is what I did....

I created a VM with 100GB HDD and 2GB of Ram. Then I tried to replace the vdmk file that proxmox create with the one from dell...tried to boot...nothing

So then I started reading and I saw and option to convert images. So heres what I get....

qemu-img convert -f vmdk k1000.vmdk qcow2 k1000.qcow2 (Also tried raw)

I get this error...

/var/lib/vz/images/105$ qemu-img convert -f vmdk k1000.vmdk qcow2 k1000.qcow2
*** glibc detected *** qemu-img: double free or corruption (top): 0x0000000000c297b0 ***
======= Backtrace: =========

I really just need to know the easiest way to use this image...im pulling my hair out over this.

I guess i should also mention that since I downloaded this from Dell, I do not have a license for VMware, which means I dont think I can use VMware disk manager to do the converting....

Hi,

I've migrate a lot of ESX machines to Proxmox, thats what i do:

- First I create the KVM VM in proxmox with a 1GB vmdk disk (you cannot create a non-disk machine)
- Second I detach the 1GB disk and copy the vmware disk to the vm path in proxmox
- Third I attach the new disk and voila

You should play with boot options and bus type and, if vm is Linux you need to take a look at fstab and mount points (it depends on how disk is identify by the system: UUID, bus type, etc). If vm is Windows probably you need to do other things (No idea).

Regards,

Jesús FF.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!