Trying to upgrade from 1.9 to 2.3, backup and restore doesn't work

artisticab

Renowned Member
Sep 8, 2011
Pacific NW, USA
I am trying to move my vm's forward from 1.9 to 2.3, so that I can get to 3.x. I have an extra server that 2.3 is installed on. So I have backed up my vm's on 1.9, copied them on to the 2.3 server, and restored them, however they will not start? Is there an extra step that I am over looking?

I received this error: unexpected status

Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 122 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/122.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/122.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/122.pid -daemonize -name Remote-Access -smp 'sockets=1,cores=1' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on' -vga cirrus -k en-us -m 1024 -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/122/vm-122-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-ide0,aio=native,cache=none' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap122i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=BE:1C:90:B2:A8:34,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net1,ifname=tap122i1,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=22:CC:AB:AD:59:C4,netdev=net1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x13,id=net1,bootindex=301' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime'' failed: exit code 1

> Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory

seems your physical hardware has no VT or no VT enabled.?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!