Trying to test

your grammar, vocabulary and spelling could do "with a little polishing"
I speak straight to the point, and assume people read all that I write. as far as spelling goes.....it is and always has been exceptionally bad....to the point where spellcheck sometimes doesn't know what the heck I am trying to say---so there is that.

Thank you for your time, and you have a nice day

Last edited:
You seem annoyed. Thats not going to help. I don't get easily flustered. And I'll still try & help. (By the way I always read the complete post).

So what remains to test:

1. As per my suggestion above - try using both NICs for vmbr0 vmbr1.
2. Try changing Processors: type in VM. Maybe start by trying host (last one in list).
3. Try changing Machine : in VM. Maybe start by trying Default (i440fx)
4. Have you tried a bare-metal install with a different OS on this same machine - with no errors. (CPU, RAM, USB, NIC etc).
5. We are assuming your network infrastructure & topology are not the cause. But maybe you need to look at that more closely.

I get the impression - you don't really want / trust my input. So I would rather not impose.
If that changes - just shout out - and I'll gladly try and help again.

Got it working!!

Long and short of the solution was gotten from gfngfn256.

I went back to using the onboard nic for the management connection
added the usb-nic after proxmox install (just to make sure the correct nic was getting the correct attention)

under the proxmox machine/system/network--- I created a new bridge, using the name of the network device as its Bridge port.
created a vm without a nic.
added the network device to the VM.

i first tried setting the model to VirtIO....for whatever reason, Windows did not even see it existing. I changed the model to E1000 and Windows saw it and picked up an address as expected from the DHCP server

As mentioned, gfngfn256 guided in the steps done to get this working.

VirtIO....for whatever reason, Windows did not even see it existing
You need to install VirtIO drivers inside Windows itself. (Look up in the Proxmox docs for a detailed guide on this).

Anyway happy you got it working.

Reactions: proxdang

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!