Trying to test

Spaz

Mar 19, 2024
Last week I started trying to use proxmox in hopes to replace vmware.
easy to install, looks good.
I create a VM, (os doesn't seem to matter)....but when I add a nic to that VM, the entire Promox environment becasue non-responsive. the proxmox interface same thing. Even if I power cycle, still cannot access anything, not even with ssh.
The test system i have this on, only has 1 nic (vmbr0 bridge) im sure somethign needs to get set for teh vm's to share this nic.

could somebody point e in the right direction please?

but when I add a nic to that VM
It sounds like you are (or trying to) passthrough the NIC to the VM. Thats not going to work, because then the PVE (host) is going to lose that NIC.

What you should be doing; is giving the VM a Network Device which is on bridge vmbr0.
It will have its own mac address (configurable) & IP, either DHCP or static.

It sounds like you are (or trying to) passthrough the NIC to the VM. Thats not going to work, because then the PVE (host) is going to lose that NIC.

What you should be doing; is giving the VM a Network Device which is on bridge vmbr0.
It will have its own mac address (configurable) & IP, either DHCP or static.
"is giving the VM a Network Device which is on bridge vmbr0."-------------- sounds about right....how do I do that?

In the GUI, click on VM (left pane), in right pane click on Hardware, then click on top Add, then choose Network Device, make sure the Bridge: is vmbr0, then press Add. Done.

no change. I added the nic, selecting bridge in the the network device.... no longer has access to it ot proxmox

Code:
# cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enx84e7140069c8 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 10.100.27.19/24
        gateway 10.100.27.1
        bridge-ports enx84e7140069c8
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

iface enp0s31f6 inet manual

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

Code:
# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host noprefixroute
2: enp0s31f6: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether b0:4f:13:12:53:f0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: enx84e7140069c8: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:e7:14:00:69:c8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:e7:14:00:69:c8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.100.27.19/24 scope global vmbr0
    inet6 fe80::86e7:14ff:fe00:69c8/64 scope link

Mostly looks good.

Not sure of pfifo_fast on enx84e7140069c8 this has todo with traffic control, and should normally read mq

Is this a USB to eth adapter, what speed is it rated for. I see you have another unused eth port enp0s31f6 - maybe management port?

Also maybe your router/switch/network is compromised? I don't know your network topology.

What IP is being given to VM, when it is launched. DHCP or static. Let's hope its not 10.100.27.19 as this would definitely be a major conflict.

If you provide the output of cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/VMID.conf (replace VMID with VM number ID) of the created VM, maybe we can check there for any inconsistency.

What happens when you've created VM but it is stopped, can you reach PVE normally?

You should also check pinging from another machine to 10.100.27.19 when VM is up - to see if it is reachable.

The USB ethernet is rated for 100 mg. and is currently the 'management' This is actually teh first time in using it as I was wondering if having a second nic would help.

No clue as to what the VM is getting as when i give it a nic, teh system becomes non-responsive, and the DHCP server doesn't give out any address.

Code:
root@G1VTPROX01:/etc/pve/qemu-server# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
bios: ovmf
boot: order=ide0;ide2
cores: 4
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
efidisk0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=1M
ide0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1,size=50G
ide2: local:iso/SW_DVD9_Win_Server_STD_CORE_2022_2108.10_64Bit_English_DC_STD_MLF_X23-16867.ISO,media=cdrom,size=4987894K
machine: pc-q35-8.1
memory: 8132
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1710881072
name: testWin
numa: 0
ostype: win11
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=3d246d78-7ad4-46f3-8e6e-0115d5461c72
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
vmgenid: edc642f8-7364-4828-9640-be66d236eb68
root@G1VTPROX01:/etc/pve/qemu-server#

When I give the vm a nic....I cannot ping proxmox at all no gui, zero replies, it acts like it's been powered off. if I hard reboot it, that does not fix it either....ssh does not respond....

The USB ethernet is rated for 100 mg
I guess that means 100 mbps. Thats pretty weak.
I was wondering if having a second nic would help
Definitely would help.

You don't answer my other questions:
I see you have another unused eth port enp0s31f6 - maybe management port?
What happens when you've created VM but it is stopped, can you reach PVE normally?

Your VM 100.conf file, is not showing any network device added.

Try creating the VM - but do not start it - Add the Network Device as above or in the VM Creation Wizard - Make sure Start after created is unchecked in the last tab of the VM Creation Wizard.
Then show me that VMID.conf file.

I see you have another unused eth port enp0s31f6 - maybe management port?
That could be the on-board nic. This is the first go around using the usb Nic as I was wondering if having a second nic would help.
The cable is currently plugged into vmbr0

Yes, all is fine until a nic is added to the VM (then turned on)

In todays testing....a VM was created, no nic added in the creation wizard. OS installed fine (no nic )
powered down the VM, added the a NIC
after adding the nic
Code:
root@G1VTPROX01:/etc/pve/qemu-server# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf
bios: ovmf
boot: order=ide0;ide2
cores: 4
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
efidisk0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=1M
ide0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1,size=50G
ide2: local:iso/SW_DVD9_Win_Server_STD_CORE_2022_2108.10_64Bit_English_DC_STD_MLF_X23-16867.ISO,media=cdrom,size=4987894K
machine: pc-q35-8.1
memory: 8132
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1710881072
name: testWin
net0: e1000=BC:24:11:6C:65:23,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win11
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=3d246d78-7ad4-46f3-8e6e-0115d5461c72
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
vmgenid: edc642f8-7364-4828-9640-be66d236eb68
root@G1VTPROX01:/etc/pve/qemu-server#
proxmox1.jpg

Not sure why you start your initial Proxmox testing using some flimsy/slow/cheap USB to eth adapter.
You should start again with the inbuilt NIC (enp0s31f6 ) and see what happens. (I would start again from scratch - it will be easier - Reinstall Proxmox without the USB adapter inserted - install VM etc.)
One other thing that might help - I see you're using the E1000 network model driver - try choosing (in the Network Tab from the Creation Wizard) a different Model - maybe VirtIO (needs VirtIO drivers) or the Realtek RTLxxxx model - see if that makes a difference.

Not sure why you start your initial Proxmox testing using some flimsy/slow/cheap USB to eth adapter.
like i had said, this latest attempt was the first time for this usb nic, all previous attempts was using the onboard nic.

from the Creation Wizard) a different Model - maybe VirtIO (needs VirtIO drivers)
I have tried vertIO and even vmxnet3

I just tried the 'realtek for the first time, then started teh VM
proxmox2.jpg
proxmox3.jpg
proxmox4.jpg

Attachments

• proxmox1.jpg
    proxmox1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 2
like i had said, this latest attempt was the first time for this usb nic, all previous attempts was using the onboard nic.
I don't see that you already told me this. My misunderstanding. (Maybe it's because English - isn't your first language).

Why don't you try something else.

Install Proxmox - including management - on the onboard nic. ( enp0s31f6 with bridge vmbr0 )
Then create VM using USB nic ( enx84e7140069c8 with bridge vmbr1 )

See what happens.

BTW - what hardware are you using? - have you setup all BIOS settings for virtualization?

Try to answer all questions. It's hard to help otherwise.

The USB ethernet is rated for 100 mg. and is currently the 'management' This is actually teh first time in using it as I was wondering if having a second nic would help.
and yes, English is my first, and only language. Perhaps English isn't your first language.

proxmox5.jpg

I had forgotten to double check the bios to verify to check that virtualization has been enabled. I will do that next

and yes, English is my first, and only language. Perhaps English isn't your first language.
No disrespect was meant are is meant. But I think for someone whose only language is English, your grammar, vocabulary and spelling could do "with a little polishing". It would help in conveying your true message & intent. I'm not going to go over our whole conversation to point out every mistake or bad conveyance of meaning, but take this sentence as an example:
like i had said[1], this latest attempt was the first time for this usb nic, all previous attempts was[2] using the onboard nic.

[1] Where had you said this in our conversation? [2] That should be were.

I also think, a little recognition of thanks for my help, wouldn't be out of place. I'm spending my time trying to help someone I really don't know or owe anything.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!