Trying to recover or reinstall proxmox 8

Today when i did that above not for long, about 10mins but overnight from yesterday but through it trying to do it on normal booting, and
it just stays at /dev/mapper/pve-root: recovering journal with the cursor still active and not frozen

Well I've reached the end of what I know of recovery. Maybe somebody else can add/help, IDK.

I don't know your level of PVE expertise - but If I were in your position - this is what I would (try to) do:

1. Reinstall.
2. I do not know what your original setup/storage.cfg was like, but try to recreate PVE environment exactly.
3. Do NOT wipe the other disk containing your VMs etc.
4. Just add this disk (3. above) with the same Storage configuration you had before (I don't know what that is) - WITHOUT WIPING.
5. Recreating your VMs & LXCs will be a big task/project, as you will need to reattach the original disks to these configs. But it should be possible to do.

Optionally if all you want to do is recover data from these VMs - it could be possible to directly access this data. But again that's a different story - and IDK how your data is stored there.

You should have had proper backups on a separate storage (VMs LXCs etc.) as you know. Learn from your mistake - don't do it again.
You could also optionally make a DD image of your PVE boot drive (like above VMs disk) once everything works after reinstall - so that you could always recover from another future failure.

Last edited:
Well I've reached the end of what I know of recovery. Maybe somebody else can add/help, IDK.

I don't know your level of PVE expertise - but If I were in your position - this is what I would (try to) do:

1. Reinstall.
2. I do not know what your original setup/storage.cfg was like, but try to recreate PVE environment exactly.
3. Do NOT wipe the other disk containing your VMs etc.
4. Just add this disk (3. above) with the same Storage configuration you had before (I don't know what that is) - WITHOUT WIPING.
5. Recreating your VMs & LXCs will be a big task/project, as you will need to reattach the original disks to these configs. But it should be possible to do.

Optionally if all you want to do is recover data from these VMs - it could be possible to directly access this data. But again that's a different story - and IDK how your data is stored there.

You should have had proper backups on a separate storage (VMs LXCs etc.) as you know. Learn from your mistake - don't do it again.
You could also optionally make a DD image of your PVE boot drive (like above VMs disk) once everything works after reinstall - so that you could always recover from another future failure.
Okay thanks for all your help, very much appreciated . I think i might have to reinstall proxmox, Is there a way then to access my host drive and copy the vms config files?

That may be remotely possible, but depends on the damage-level on that drive. (Doesn't look good from above).
Start by live-booting USB (Gparted etc..), then try mounting the original drive/partitions to a mount point, and see if you can find any data.
For further attempts/methods on this, google is your friend.

One other thing you might consider - if your system is critical for you - try protecting your system with a UPS.

And once again - Backup! And backup on an - external/removable - storage medium!

Good luck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!