Trying to connect to my Proxmox Server need help!

Z

zer0veritas

Ok so i am running a linux debian 64 host os and installed proxmox ve 3.0 in a virtual enviroment using VirtualBox. I run a LAN through my router 10.0.0.1 is my gateway. Of course I have my public IP address that the router uses to connect to the internet and my ip is dynamically assigned.

So my question is what IP address and Gateway should I enter when setting up my Proxmox server in VirtualBox? I am using Googles DNS 8.8.8.8.

All the tutorials I am finding just show how to install it and make it look easy when entering the Ip address settings.

Need some help here guys.

for a little more info I only have 1 NIC and running a NAT through VM. I just have eth0 and wlan0. I ran ifconfig and attached a SS of it for you guys to see.
20130623_165412.jpg

Is there something I'm missing? I can't find a tutorial on this anywhere. Everything is assumed that the default settings work.

I am watching all these tutorials and they all go through the setup process in a breeze, it looks like all their ip addresses start with 196. Are they assigning a private IP address? why does my router use 10.0.0.1 instead of 196 like everyone else? I am losing my mind here trying to figure this thing out.

I would also like to add I have tried setting proxmox up with the default settings it wanted me to originally add Ip address 10.0.0.15 the default gateway was 10.0.0.1 or something and when it started the server I could not connect to it, connection timed out.

In order for your vm to see your lan you need to set the vm nic to bridge mode. Otherwise you are natted behind your host os

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Ok I will try bridge mode and see if that works. Thanks.

By the way, it doesnt matter what subnet your router uses, as long as its a private range, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, and 10.x.x.x are all effectively the same

thanks pg, the bridged connection works, shoulda figured that one out myself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!