Trying to boot from USB

BloodyIron

Renowned Member
Jan 14, 2013
it.lanified.com
So I'm trying to get a USB stick bootable for my proxmox OS. I'm not trying to set it up as RO I want it as RW as if it is a HDD. It's an 8GB drive so plenty of room.

The target system doesn't have a Optical drive and only has two USB ports, so I used my laptop. I removed the laptop HDD (because earlier I borked my MBR with an earlier install attempt), installed from a burned DVD to the USB stick.

The laptop can boot proxmox just fine, but when I stick the USB stick into the target system I get: "/dev/mapper/pve-root does not exist"

As outlined: http://imgur.com/PlE2LZl

I'm not sure what to do about this. Help please?

Bumps will get you banned.

Its not recommended to use USB as boot device for proxmox as the speed is very poor - and there is a lot of IO to the disk.

you can install proxmox from a USB drive to HDDs.

Whats the spec of your target system.

Alsop it could be that the BIOS on your laptop doesnt like booting from USB - maybe only USB 1.1?

I'm trying really hard to avoid booting from HDD/SSD because I am working with 6 nodes and I really don't have a budget for a HDD/SSD for each (home stuff).

I tried flashing the on-board NICs to boot from iSCSI but the intel utility complained that it was flashing to a LOM, so I have tried booting from USB.

The thing is the laptop boots from the USB stick, but not the target system. This is the mobo of the target system: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5400/X7DWT-INF.cfm

As for getting banned for bumping, thanks for the heads up but before I bumped I tried to find a post outlining forum rules and couldn't find one for this section.

Bumps will get you banned.

Its not recommended to use USB as boot device for proxmox as the speed is very poor - and there is a lot of IO to the disk.

you can install proxmox from a USB drive to HDDs.

Whats the spec of your target system.

Alsop it could be that the BIOS on your laptop doesnt like booting from USB - maybe only USB 1.1?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!