Trying out SR-IOV no network for VM on same Bridge as main PCI

Weidah

Nov 5, 2023
Hi!
I'm fairly new to SR-IOV this and hope I'm using the right terminology and abbreviations.

I'm trying to figure this out.

I've got a VM which I've assigned it a VF from the main 10GBe network card.
This works fine, it does it's thing, no issues.

I wanted to use the same PF(The top "root" NIC on the list) in a bridge for management (vmbr0).
This also works fine.

But as soon as I assign the bridge to a VM virtual NIC, the VM doesn't get network.
I have to create a new bridge for a different NIC to get it to then get network through the other vmbr1.

It's exactly like this, nothing special for topology. Basically just playing around and can't seem to figure out why this wouldn't work.

Now I'm guessing that the First VM with the VF shouldn't really have anything to do with this, as it's not even a part of the vmbr0, as far as the system is concerned it's it's own NIC.

The only other thing I'm thinking now is that there's some type of security on the management bridge to prevent VMs to access the network in case of a breach?

I'm really new to Proxmox and it's been years since I've done anything like this, so I apologize if it's something everyone should know.

Here's the interfaces file:
EDIT: I've just noticed I've posted the now current config. Basically the only difference before, with the issues, was that enp87s0 was in vmbr0 and vmbr2 didn't exist.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp89s0 inet manual

iface enp87s0 inet manual

iface enp2s0f0np0 inet manual
#RED SFP+

iface enp2s0f1np1 inet manual
#GREEN SFP+

iface wlp90s0 inet manual

iface enp2s0f0v1 inet manual

iface enp2s0f0v2 inet manual

iface enp2s0f1v1 inet manual

iface enp2s0f1v2 inet manual

iface enp2s0f0v0 inet manual

iface enp2s0f1v0 inet manual

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp2s0f0np0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#RED (WAN)

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.102/24
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        bridge-ports enp2s0f1np1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#MANAGEMENT

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp87s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
#GREEN

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!