Transfer Proxmox boot partition to another hard drive

Sabrina M.

Apr 25, 2024
Hello,

I have a server with 4 hard drives in a RAID array and a small SD card. I installed Proxmox on the small SD card and my created virtual machines are stored on a hard drive.
As a result, my SD card is pretty full and I can hardly do anything with Proxmox.

Is there a way to transfer Proxmox from the SD card to a larger hard drive without deleting the virtual machines?

Unfortunately, I'm a beginner and I don't know much about it. I hope one of you can help me.

Sabrina

Glad you got it sorted. BTW one reason not to leave Proxmox boot/root on an average SDcard is write endurance. (They generally don't have TBW ratings.) You can buy high-endurance ones, but they're more expensive - and obviously not tested for this kind of hypervisor application. Pretty sure they don't support SMART, either.

You can get around it somewhat with ' noatime ' for all filesystems, log2ram, zram and turning off cluster services, but it's pretty well known that Proxmox can chew through consumer-level SSDs fairly quickly.

Regardless, don't forget to backup. Always have something to restore from.

Reactions: _gabriel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!