Time synchronization problem on Proxmox 5.1

D.P.

May 13, 2016
Hi!
I have got server Fujitsu Primergy RX2560M4 with 2x CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4114 CPU @ 2.20GHz
and mainboard D3384-A1x. Latest BIOS and IRMC are installed.

I've installed 2 node Proxmox cluster with Ceph storage on this server and another older Fujitsu server.
There is a problem with time synchronization on newer server from the moment of installation.
Server never could synchronize time with Proxmox running. I used ntpd and timesync services, manually update time.
I read many tips from forums. Time couldn't be synchronized on Proxmox 5.x.
There is every few minutes clock skew.

Last day I installed SUSE Enterprise Server 12 SP3, run ntp service and after few minutes time has been synchronized.
On Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS time synchronization works too.
SUSE uses kernel version 4.4.73-5, Ubuntu 16 - 4.4.0-116 and Proxmox uses kernel version 4.13.13-42.

What is wrong with Proxmox that I can't synchronize time on the server?

Just to be clear: same physical servers, same network rules, same IP addresses, install Proxmox = no time sync, install SUSE/Ubuntu and time sync works? I'm just trying to rule out network issues - in my case time problems were caused by a misconfigured firewall.

Yes for:
Just to be clear: same physical servers, same network rules, same IP addresses, install Proxmox = no time sync, install SUSE/Ubuntu and time sync works?

The firewall on Proxmox or another one?

The firewall on Proxmox or another one?
I was trying to help you isolate the problem. I had Proxmox problems because the machines in the cluster weren't using the same time, and ntp wasn't working its magic because when I'd configured the firewall I configured ntp using TCP ports. This didn't work because ntp uses udp so time sync wasn't happening.

My question: are you sure that the other forms of Linux you're using that are updating from timeservers properly are running on the same rules/configuration that are applied to your proxmox servers?

Code:
root@pcn1:~# timedatectl
      Local time: Fri 2018-03-23 11:21:59 CET
  Universal time: Fri 2018-03-23 10:21:59 UTC
        RTC time: Fri 2018-03-23 10:21:59
       Time zone: Europe/Warsaw (CET, +0100)
 Network time on: yes
NTP synchronized: yes
 RTC in local TZ: no

Code:
root@pcn1:~# systemctl status systemd-timesyncd ntp.service
● systemd-timesyncd.service - Network Time Synchronization
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service.d
           └─disable-with-time-daemon.conf
   Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at Fri 2018-03-23 10:55:45 CET; 26min ago
           └─ ConditionFileIsExecutable=!/usr/sbin/ntpd was not met
     Docs: man:systemd-timesyncd.service(8)

● ntp.service - LSB: Start NTP daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/ntp; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-03-23 10:55:58 CET; 26min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 2448 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/ntp start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Tasks: 2 (limit: 23347)
   Memory: 3.7M                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
      CPU: 133ms                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
   CGroup: /system.slice/ntp.service                                                                                                                                                                                                         
           └─2502 /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -u 109:115                                                                                                                                                                         

Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: Listen normally on 6 vmbr2 192.168.22.21:123                                                                                                                                                               
Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: Listen normally on 7 lo [::1]:123                                                                                                                                                                           
Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: Listen normally on 8 vmbr0 [fe80::921b:eff:fee7:eb8a%9]:123                                                                                                                                                 
Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: Listen normally on 9 bond1 [fe80::a236:9fff:fe20:474c%10]:123                                                                                                                                               
Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: bind(26) AF_INET6 fe80::6a05:caff:fe41:ddf4%11#123 flags 0x11 failed: Cannot assign requested address                                                                                                       
Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: unable to create socket on vmbr1 (10) for fe80::6a05:caff:fe41:ddf4%11#123                                                                                                                                 
Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: failed to init interface for address fe80::6a05:caff:fe41:ddf4%11                                                                                                                                           
Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: Listen normally on 11 vmbr2 [fe80::6a05:caff:fe41:ddf5%12]:123                                                                                                                                             
Mar 23 10:55:58 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: Listening on routing socket on fd #27 for interface updates                                                                                                                                                 
Mar 23 10:56:00 pcn1 ntpd[2502]: Listen normally on 12 vmbr1 [fe80::6a05:caff:fe41:ddf4%11]:123

Hi!
I've disabled timesyncd and installed ntp daemon.
To sync time on server: shutdown all proxmox services (especially ceph if is running), sync time manually and next run proxmox services.
This

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!