Time synchronisation between PVE node/host and VM/guest without access to the Internet

jsabater

Oct 25, 2021
Palma, Mallorca, Spain
Hey everyone!

As far as I understand, my Proxmox 7 cluster, installed on top of a Debian 11 Bullseye, uses systemd-timesyncd to keep the clock in sync via external NTP servers, configured either in /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf or in a separate file inside /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf.d/. All of my nodes have such configuration and it seems to be working well-enough so far.

In case that the guest is an LXC, I have read in these forums that, since it's the same kernel, the guest is reading the value from the actual value of the kernel of the node/host when calling gettimeofday(). Therefore, no NTP client is required in the LXC. But I have not found documentation about this.

In case that the guest is a VM, I have read in these forums that the host/node synchronises the virtual clock (kvm-clock [1]) of the guest when starting it up, but afterwards the NTP client inside the VM should take care of keeping it synchronised. But I have not found documentation about this either.

Questions:
  1. Are these two assumptions correct?
  2. If my VM does not have access to the Internet [2], is there a way to keep the clock inside the VM in sync via the node/host instead of the Internet?
  3. I could also set up a NTP server where my HTTP proxy resides, which is an LXC in one of the nodes of the cluster. Or in a separate LXC. The VM would use that server. Would that work, given the NTP server would be inside an LXC? (as per @czechsys' response below)
Thanks in advance.

[1] cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
[2] Except via a HTTP proxy, which could lead me to use HTP, but I'd rather avoid it.

Last edited:
HI, @czechsys, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, one of my pending tasks is to disable systemd-timesyncd and install and configure Chrony. It just never manages to move to the top of that list, heh :)

Regarding setting up a NTP server, I take it that it would have to be a physical machine, but that would be a waste. I can't be the only one with VMs that have no connection to the Internet, can I? :(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!