TFA

lew-adv-sol

Feb 9, 2024
So I have read plenty of posts about the TFA issue and recommendation but for some reason I can not even login in to the server directly when trying to disable TFA.
GUI and CLI logins are all denied. Am I missing something?
I followed the documentation for setting up the TFA so I am still confused as to how this even occurred.

I configured the TOTP, and on next login all attempts failed from webgui, and server cli. I already started in on re-installing everything, just because there was nothing of importance on there but for the sake of pin pointing the cause I am here.

I will be editing this to add additional details as needed:
proxmox 8.1.4
TFA TOTP setup
fresh install no modification to default settings.
No other user created, only root user.

Last edited:
So I have read plenty of posts about the TFA issue and recommendation but for some reason I can not even login in to the server directly when trying to disable TFA.
GUI and CLI logins are all denied. Am I missing something?
I followed the documentation for setting up the TFA so I am still confused as to how this even occurred.

I configured the TOTP, and on next login all attempts failed from webgui, and server cli. I already started in on re-installing everything, just because there was nothing of importance on there but for the sake of pin pointing the cause I am here.
I will be editing this to add additional details as needed:

proxmox 8.1.4
TFA TOTP setup
fresh install no modification to default settings.
No other user created, only root user.
Ps: Different from other soccer games, A Small World Cup possesses simple but colorful pixelated graphics, creating a fun and cute soccer world.
Proxmox implements a lockout mechanism after multiple failed login attempts. Verify if your root user is locked or not,
pveum user lock state root. If locked, unlock using root unlock pveum user.

Last edited:
I just reverted and left it disabled until I workout what failed when implementing it initially. Any helpful tips for others that happen upon this post for setting up TFA?

Hi,

Just a hint. Are you trying to access with the correct realm ? If you have only default root user, you should set Linux PAM.
I remember i had a similar problem last year when i was testing proxmox, and I spent some time to figure it out.

realm.JPG

Reactions: lew-adv-sol

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!