[SOLVED] TASK ERROR: unable to restore CT - unsupported centos release 'CentOS release 5.11 (Final)

hisaltesse

Mar 4, 2009
I migrated some CentOS openvz containers from Proxmox 3.4 to Proxmox 6 and they would not restore at all.

I even tried this PATCH on /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC/Setup/CentOS.pm but it still gives me the same error and I am unable to restore my CentOS 5.11 containers...

I keep getting this error:

TASK ERROR: unable to restore CT 100 - unsupported centos release 'CentOS release 5.10 (Final)'

Please advice... is there any other place that I need to patch in order to allow them to restore?

Last edited:
The last CentOS 5 release (5.11) went EOL (End Of Life) over 5 years ago, which was about a year before the switch to our new LXC based container toolkit with Proxmox VE 4.0, thus support was not added there.

The patch mentioned never got proposed to our mailinglist () and is thus not included.

FYI, after applying you'll need to restart some services to re-load the modified Perl module:
Bash:
systemctl restart pveproxy pvedaemon
, then the patch should work (until the next pce-container update, which will overwrite this file again).

If you can confirm that it works with the existing code I can apply the patch and push out an update.

And please, update your CT as soon as possible, I mean CentOS 8 is on the doorstep and running software which got first released over 12 years ago, last updated over 5 years ago should be avoided, at least for production systems :)

Your suggestion worked. Thank you.
(I plan to upgrade but it is a time consuming task to deploy a new server with the latest CentOS and then transfer existing application to it. and keep things working... I wish there was a way to upgrade directly from within CentOS 5)

OK, thanks for reporting back, I applied the proposed patch myself and pushed it out to our git source code repository. It should be come available in a future release of the pve-container package.

Hello everyone,

Edit:
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC/Setup/Debian.pm or file.pm

die "unsupported debian version '$version'\n"
- if !($version >= 4 && $version <= 9);

for

if !($version >= 4 && $version <= 9.9);
or
if !($version >= 4 && $version <= 11);

You always forget to mention that you must restart the PROXMOX server, to make it work, otherwise it is useless to modify this file and the line. Greetings.

You always forget to mention that you must restart the PROXMOX server, to make it work, otherwise it is useless to modify this file and the line. Greetings.
The correct solution for that is clearly written in my post in this thread:

FYI, after applying you'll need to restart some services to re-load the modified Perl module:
Bash:
systemctl restart pveproxy pvedaemon
, then the patch should work (until the next pce-container update, which will overwrite this file again).

Rather than patching your PVE instance you should actually update both, your CentOS 5 based container which is full End-of-Life since 4 years and Proxmox VE to 6.x, as 1. there no patching would be required and 2. PVE 5.x is EOL since July 2020.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!