TASK ERROR: KVM virtualization configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS, while running in VMware envir.

RiderofDragons68

Sep 11, 2022
I have build a VMware environment, I have setup TrueNAS and have set up the first iSCSI volume for a VM. I have added this to the cluster that I have build. I setup a Debian VM on the iSCSI volume and can move it between the 2 servers. when I try to start the VM. I get the following error.

TASK ERROR: KVM virtualisation configured, but not available. Either disable in VM configuration or enable in BIOS.

The bios on the Dell r620 has all the Virtualization enabled. I have enabled virtualization support with in VMware for each machine. I have also installed the 'open vm tools' on each server.

Can you please advise on what to check and do?
Sincerely,
Rider

I just checked the 'SEABIOS' of the virtual machines and the are no settings for virtualization support. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I do to fix it.

I just tried a different processor emulation and that did not help the situation. I have emulation setup and configured. I also added intel_iommu=on to startup file my modifying grub. Still not working

Do you (try to) run the Debian VM inside VMWare inside Proxmox or run the Debian VM inside Proxmox inside VMWare?
Maybe one of them does not support nested virtualization on your hardware or nested virtualization is not enabled in the software/drivers? On Proxmox you can check this with cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested (and similar for kvm_amd if it's a AMD CPU).

This is the response at server:
1662996941681.png

On Proxmox I have this:
So it was recommended that I add intel_iommu=on to the /proc/cmdline and it will not save when I update grub.
Rider

I was able to get it running, I had made a mistake in the VM configuration and for got to enable the iommun support and expose hard to the the VM. It is running great. I am having issues with external connectivity at this point. I am going to start the trouble shooting on that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!