TASK ERROR: activating LV 'pve/data' failed: Activation of logical volume pve/data is prohibited while logical volume pve/data_tdata is active.

EWek11

Mar 10, 2022
I have gotten this a couple of times and have been able to get past it, but I can no longer get me PVE sessions to start....

I've already tried:

lvchange -an pve/data
lvconvert --repair pve/data
lvchange -ay pve/data
qm unlock 100
reboot

I believe it may have to do with allocating too much drive space, but I've already enabled trim/discard but am still having issues.

I have no idea what else to try to get this back up and running. Would be super grateful for any assistance!!

this is the output:

Code:
root@pve:~# lvs -a
  LV                                VG  Attr       LSize    Pool Origin        Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data                              pve twi---tz-- <795.77g                                                 
  data_meta0                        pve -wi-a-----    8.12g                                                 
  [data_tdata]                      pve Twi-a----- <795.77g                                                 
  [data_tmeta]                      pve ewi-a-----    8.12g                                                 
  [lvol1_pmspare]                   pve ewi-------    8.12g                                                 
  root                              pve -wi-ao----   96.00g                                                 
  snap_vm-100-disk-0_all_working    pve Vri---tz-k    4.00m data vm-100-disk-0                             
  snap_vm-100-disk-0_snap2          pve Vri---tz-k    4.00m data vm-100-disk-0                             
  snap_vm-100-disk-0_snap3          pve Vri---tz-k    4.00m data vm-100-disk-0                             
  snap_vm-100-disk-1_all_working    pve Vri---tz-k  640.00g data vm-100-disk-1                             
  snap_vm-100-disk-1_snap2          pve Vri---tz-k  640.00g data vm-100-disk-1                             
  snap_vm-100-disk-1_snap3          pve Vri---tz-k  640.00g data vm-100-disk-1                             
  snap_vm-101-disk-0_snapshot_test1 pve Vri---tz-k    8.00g data vm-101-disk-0                             
  swap                              pve -wi-ao----    7.00g                                                 
  vm-100-disk-0                     pve Vwi---tz--    4.00m data                                           
  vm-100-disk-1                     pve Vwi---tz--  640.00g data                                           
  vm-100-disk-2                     pve Vwi---tz--  512.00g data                                           
  vm-100-state-all_working          pve Vwi---tz--  <10.49g data                                           
  vm-100-state-snap1                pve Vwi---tz--  <10.49g data                                           
  vm-100-state-snap2                pve Vwi---tz--  <10.49g data                                           
  vm-100-state-snap3                pve Vwi---tz--  <10.49g data                                           
  vm-101-disk-0                     pve Vwi---tz--    8.00g data                                           
  vm-103-disk-0                     pve Vwi---tz--    8.00g data

checking that thread now....Thanks so much for the help!!

regarding the link you sent, i already had the thin_check setting enabled from the last time this happened...

I think you'll need to deactivate pve/data_tdata and pve/data_tmeta to be able to activate pve/data. Well, the lvs output doesn't show the usage information because the volumes are not active, but the sum of LSizes of volumes in the pool is much bigger than the size of the pool (even without the snapshots where only the delta contributes to how much space they actually require).

im not sure how to go about this. I can't seem to make any changes from the gui. I do have ssh access, but not sure how to go about what you're suggesting.

Thanks again for your assistance, really hoping to get this back up, backed up, then will re-create a new instance with smaller drive for it....

I meant trying
Code:
lvchange -an pve/data_tdata
lvchange -an pve/data_tmeta
lvchange -ay pve/data

Thank you so much for this thread, helped me as well.

however, everyone the machine restarts, I have to go through this. How can I permanently resolve this?

Code:
lvs -a
  LV              VG  Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data            pve twi-aotz-- <5.58t             68.29  8.66                           
  [data_tdata]    pve Twi-ao---- <5.58t                                                   
  [data_tmeta]    pve ewi-ao---- 15.81g                                                   
  [lvol0_pmspare] pve ewi------- 15.81g                                                   
  root            pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g                                                   
  swap            pve -wi-ao----  8.00g                                                   
  vm-100-disk-0   pve Vwi-aotz-- 15.00g data        90.01                                 
  vm-101-disk-0   pve Vwi-aotz--  8.00g data        81.15                                 
  vm-102-disk-0   pve Vwi---tz--  4.00m data                                               
  vm-102-disk-1   pve Vwi-aotz-- 50.00g data        99.59                                 
  vm-103-disk-0   pve Vwi-aotz--  8.00g data        99.45                                 
  vm-103-disk-1   pve Vwi-aotz-- <3.91t data        95.51                                 
  vm-104-disk-0   pve Vwi---tz-- 50.00g data

Reactions: chrispage1
Hi,
Thank you so much for this thread, helped me as well.

however, everyone the machine restarts, I have to go through this. How can I permanently resolve this?

Code:
lvs -a
  LV              VG  Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data            pve twi-aotz-- <5.58t             68.29  8.66                          
  [data_tdata]    pve Twi-ao---- <5.58t                                                  
  [data_tmeta]    pve ewi-ao---- 15.81g                                                  
  [lvol0_pmspare] pve ewi------- 15.81g                                                  
  root            pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g                                                  
  swap            pve -wi-ao----  8.00g                                                  
  vm-100-disk-0   pve Vwi-aotz-- 15.00g data        90.01                                
  vm-101-disk-0   pve Vwi-aotz--  8.00g data        81.15                                
  vm-102-disk-0   pve Vwi---tz--  4.00m data                                              
  vm-102-disk-1   pve Vwi-aotz-- 50.00g data        99.59                                
  vm-103-disk-0   pve Vwi-aotz--  8.00g data        99.45                                
  vm-103-disk-1   pve Vwi-aotz-- <3.91t data        95.51                                
  vm-104-disk-0   pve Vwi---tz-- 50.00g data
a permanent workaround and more information can be found here.

I meant trying
Code:
lvchange -an pve/data_tdata
lvchange -an pve/data_tmeta
lvchange -ay pve/data
Just had the same issue after upgrade to Linux 5.15.102-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.102-1
The code above resolved the problem.. You will need to replace the "pve" above with the correct VG for your volume. which can be found usig the lvs -a command which in may case is "vmvolume".

Code:
root@pve001:~# lvs -a
  LV                                    VG       Attr       LSize    Pool     Origin        Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data                                  pve      twi-a-tz--  337.85g                        0.00   0.50                          
  [data_tdata]                          pve      Twi-ao----  337.85g                                                              
  [data_tmeta]                          pve      ewi-ao----   <3.45g                                                              
  [lvol0_pmspare]                       pve      ewi-------   <3.45g                                                              
  root                                  pve      -wi-ao----   96.00g                                                              
  swap                                  pve      -wi-ao----    8.00g                                                              
  [lvol0_pmspare]                       vmvolume ewi-------   15.81g                                                              
  snap_vm-100-disk-0_post_linux_updates vmvolume Vri---tz-k 1000.00g vmvolume vm-100-disk-0                                      
  snap_vm-100-disk-0_pre_fp7_update     vmvolume Vri---tz-k 1000.00g vmvolume vm-100-disk-0                                      
  snap_vm-101-disk-0_post_linux_update  vmvolume Vri---tz-k  200.00g vmvolume vm-101-disk-0                                      
  snap_vm-101-disk-0_pre_linux_updates  vmvolume Vri---tz-k  200.00g vmvolume vm-101-disk-0                                      
  vm-100-disk-0                         vmvolume Vwi-aotz-- 1000.00g vmvolume               44.39                                
  vm-101-disk-0                         vmvolume Vwi-aotz--  200.00g vmvolume               6.88                                  
  vmvolume                              vmvolume twi-aotz--   <1.79t                        25.92  1.56                          
  [vmvolume_tdata]                      vmvolume Twi-ao----   <1.79t                                                              
  [vmvolume_tmeta]                      vmvolume ewi-ao----   15.81g

Hi,
View attachment 52016

what should i do pls help me.
in your case the activation most likely doesn't work, because the pool's metadata seems corrupted. You can search for tutorials using terms "LVM thin pool" and "Manual repair required!", but better to make a bitwise backup of the drive first, so you can safely try them out. Otherwise, you might need to contact a professional data recovery expert with experience with LVM thin.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!