systemd-boot and GPU passthrough working, but not?

np247

Mar 7, 2024
Hello,

I have an Optiplex 3050 Micro with an i5-6500T, 16 GB of RAM, and (2) disks -- a 256GB NVMe and a 256 GB SATA. I stumbled across this post recently: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/igpu-passthrough-with-intel-graphics-530.138810/

I'm running ProxMox 8.1.4, and based on the posting date I figured "hey it's probably safe to assume the op was on 8.x as well" -- I have identical hardware so the instructions should 'just work' -- I was wrong. I think in my case, because I had opted to do UEFI / ZFS (RAID-1) mirror, systemd-boot was utilized instead of GRUB -- as such, instead of modifying /etc/default/grub, I modified /etc/kernel/cmdline -- which looks as follows:

Code:
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\6.5.11-8-pve\initrd.img-6.5.11-8-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init video=simplefb:off video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off video=vesa:off disable_vga=1 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 kvm.ignore_msrs=1 modprobe.blacklist=i915

My /etc/modules:

Code:
# Modules required for PCI passthrough
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

# Modules required for Intel GVT-g Split
# kvmgt

On the ProxMox host, I ran: apt install libgl1 libegl1

I then ran: proxmox-boot-tool refresh

I rebooted.

After the reboot, cat /proc/cmdline looks perfect.

I built a W10 IoT VM, enabled RDP, ran all the updates, and powered it off. I then passed through the PCI devices (video and audio), as well as USB keyboard and mouse, changed the display to "VitIO-GPU (virtio)".

I power it on -- it boots perfectly fine. Windows detects the hardware, and everything looks great. However, when I switch over to my monitor it just sits searching for an HDMI signal. I've rebooted the ProxMox server and left it on the HDMI input. I noticed the video displays perfectly fine during POST, ProxMox booting, etc. -- I see the IP address message, and when I power on the VM -- the screen just turns black.

w10cli01.jpg

w10cli01rdp.jpg

I'm so close. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
multiple guide are available, use the proper one with the prox version you want to run to get the setting. Currently you are mixing many old and new settings that will not be compatible. also read first the manual as the display is set wrong, default is the one to get output.. and then on the igpu, you can have a display over linux vm, windows do not give a display.
And for passthrough, set the proper setting in grub.

Hello,

Thank-you for the reply. You mention multiple guides, but I haven't seen one appropriate for my use case -- UEFI/ZFS w/ systemd-boot (no GRUB), Intel iGPU, and Proxmox 8.1.4 -- would you mind pointing me to one, or, a couple of these guides? It would be greatly appreciated.

The display settings have been changed from none, default, and VirtIO (as per the guide I referenced) -- all of which render the same results.

GRUB is not relevant, as systemd-boot is used (due to UEFI/ZFS).

Thank-you!

Last edited:
I erased everything, started fresh, and used different guides -- annnd, sure enough -- exact same situation. I can see the GPU, drivers install -- but I get no output on my DisplayPort or HDMI output of my hardware.

This time around, I used these (2) guides:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/p...x-ve-8-installation-and-configuration.130218/
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/nvidia-gpu-passthrough-issues.137121/

My /etc/kernel/cmdline:
Code:
root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt

My /etc/modules:

Code:
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci

root@pve01:~# lspci -nnk | grep Intel
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 [8086:1912] (rev 06)
00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio [8086:a2f0]

My /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf:

Code:
options vfio-pci ids=8086:1912,8086:a2f0 disable_vga=1
softdep snd_hda_intel pre: vfio-pci
softdep snd_hda_codec_hdmi pre: vfio-pci
softdep i915 pre: vfio-pci

(I've tried with and without "disable_vga=1")

Again, I've changed the display to none, Default, and VirtIO -- I get nothing. Surely this can't be this difficult...

Help would be appreciated. If I still had hair, I'd be pulling it out.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have an Optiplex 3050 Micro with an i5-6500T, 16 GB of RAM, and (2) disks -- a 256GB NVMe and a 256 GB SATA. I stumbled across this post recently: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/igpu-passthrough-with-intel-graphics-530.138810/

I'm running ProxMox 8.1.4, and based on the posting date I figured "hey it's probably safe to assume the op was on 8.x as well" -- I have identical hardware so the instructions should 'just work' -- I was wrong. I think in my case, because I had opted to do UEFI / ZFS (RAID-1) mirror, systemd-boot was utilized instead of GRUB -- as such, instead of modifying /etc/default/grub, I modified /etc/kernel/cmdline -- which looks as follows:

Code:
initrd=\EFI\proxmox\6.5.11-8-pve\initrd.img-6.5.11-8-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init video=simplefb:off video=vesafb:off video=efifb:off video=vesa:off disable_vga=1 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 kvm.ignore_msrs=1 modprobe.blacklist=i915

My /etc/modules:

Code:
# Modules required for PCI passthrough
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

# Modules required for Intel GVT-g Split
# kvmgt

On the ProxMox host, I ran: apt install libgl1 libegl1

I then ran: proxmox-boot-tool refresh

I rebooted.

After the reboot, cat /proc/cmdline looks perfect.

I built a W10 IoT VM, enabled RDP, ran all the updates, and powered it off. I then passed through the PCI devices (video and audio), as well as USB keyboard and mouse, changed the display to "VitIO-GPU (virtio)".

I power it on -- it boots perfectly fine. Windows detects the hardware, and everything looks great. However, when I switch over to my monitor it just sits searching for an HDMI signal. I've rebooted the ProxMox server and left it on the HDMI input. I noticed the video displays perfectly fine during POST, ProxMox booting, etc. -- I see the IP address message, and when I power on the VM -- the screen just turns black.

View attachment 64312

View attachment 64313

I'm so close. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
I am still curious how you do it. I have the exact same settings but on Windows 11, and it throws error code 43! It's on a HD 620. I have GRUB with Secure Boot enabled.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!