SWAP usage 100%

We have the same situation after upgrade 3 nodes cluster to 7.4 from 6.4 and increasing ram on node 1 with additional 128GB. Is there any solution? We change parameters in systemct to vm.swappiness=10.
1701619119503.png

It seems to me like there is an excessive amount of swap configured. Anything above ~16GB of RAM on the host level, you don't want your server to swap much at all.

In my /etc/rc.local with zram enabled + 2GB of LVM swap (16GB host RAM):

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

# Try to keep at least 100MB of free RAM at all times
echo 100000 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes

# Default 100 - try more aggressively to reclaim inodes, etc from cache
echo 160 > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure

I'm also limiting ZFS ARC usage to 1573741824 bytes (~1.5GB), and have LVM + ext4 root.

Right now I have (5) VMs running and 2 containers, and (54MB) of 4GB swap usage:

Code:
swapon -s;free -h

Filename                                Type            Size            Used            Priority
/dev/dm-0                               partition       2097148         0               -2
/dev/zram0                              partition       2097148         55296           10

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            15Gi        11Gi       2.4Gi        48Mi       1.7Gi       3.7Gi
Swap:          4.0Gi        54Mi       3.9Gi

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!