Suspending VE8

arjanhs

Jun 13, 2023
New to proxmox and just installed the latest version (8) and after setup i removed the HDMI cable from my NUC. Directly after that the host suspend en the host and the VM aren't accesible anymore. Keeping the HDMI cable inserted keep proxmox running. Tried with a spare cable but seems to need an connected monitor for not suspending.

[ 1147.036055] PM: suspend entry (deep)
[ 1147.042023] printk: Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
[ 1148.311414] PM: suspend exit
[ 1177.065363] PM: suspend entry (deep)
[ 1177.074276] printk: Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
[ 1178.352903] PM: suspend exit

How can i solve this issue and keep all running without suspending.

Tried: systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target but i'm not sure if it works.

Arjan

Last edited:
New to proxmox and just installed the latest version (8) and after setup i removed the HDMI cable from my NUC. Directly after that the host suspend en the host and the VM aren't accesible anymore. Keeping the HDMI cable inserted keep proxmox running. Tried with a spare cable but seems to need an connected monitor for not suspending.
This is not normal PVE behavior and, as an enterprise hypervisor being managed remotely, it can run headless just fine. Did you setup suspending yourself?
Did you install Proxmox on top of a Debian with a graphical desktop environment? Maybe there is a power savings setting that you can disable?

Reactions: Dunuin
I was thinking the same and to both questions i can answer no. Have done an install with the PVE iso file and changed nothing about power savings. Was running debian before with no issues, haven't changed anything in the mean time. PVE is running headless, at least i'm trying but it won't let me.

Seems to be solved now by: systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

Jun 26 16:24:49 pve systemd-logind[628]: Requested suspend operation not supported, ignoring.

Should be disabled by default in my opinion.

Last edited:
Haven't tried with PVE8 yet, but with 6.x and 7.x I have a few NUC (and also had two Gigabyte Brix) running flawlessly in headless mode, either booting them up without a cable/monitor connected or disconnecting the cable afterwards.

Try disabling HDMI CEC in the BIOS: maybe the NUC suspends itself when there's no display (i.e. when you turn off the monitor will suspend the NUC).

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!