Support for Xen

chopeta

Renowned Member
Sep 11, 2008
Guys, do you have any plans to support Xen VMs (as you support OpenVZ and KVM) in the near future?

Guys, do you have any plans to support Xen VMs (as you support OpenVZ and KVM) in the near future?

we already got a solution for full virtualization - KVM. so why should we add another one? I see no advantage here, please correct me if I am wrong.

due to the fact that Redhat moved also from XEN to KVM (they acquired the company behind KVM) we think KVM is the future for open source virtualization - not XEN.

due to the fact that Redhat moved also from XEN to KVM (they acquired the company behind KVM) we think KVM is the future for open source virtualization - not XEN.

Tom,

I agree with you, but I also think that we should leave that decision to the users. What happen with users that prefer Xen over KVM? They are not users for PVE?

Actually I have a few friends that do no use OpenVZ cause they already have tons of Xen VMs implemented.

Again, as a virtualization solution I think we be nice if we support Xen.

p.d.: I have 8 physical servers (in 3 diff. Clusters) using PVE and I only use OpenVZ containers ;)

One more time, thanks for this great solution.
chopeta

I agree with you, but I also think that we should leave that decision to the users. What happen with users that prefer Xen over KVM?

Well, I got your point. But unfortunately someone has to implement and test that. We do not have the resources for that. Is should also be fairly easy to convert a VM from Xen to KVM.

- Dietmar

Well, I got your point. But unfortunately someone has to implement and test that. We do not have the resources for that. Is should also be fairly easy to convert a VM from Xen to KVM.

- Dietmar

Dietmar,

I also have this problem. XEN is very popular and we have several VMs that are working very good.
I like your PVE but it is a problem for me to switch production VMs to KVM.
I also find it hard to trust OpenVZ for real time applications because a crash of one VM can cause all other VMs on the same host to crash.

You say that it should be fairly easy to convert a VM from XEN to KVM.
Do you happen to have the instructions to do that? Or if you can post a URL that you know about with those instructions?
I was not able to find an easy way to do that.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!