Support for Windows failover clustering

khblenk

Jul 2, 2020
I'm attempting to install a Windows Server 2022 Failover Cluster within my Proxmox environment to provide additional protection against operating system failures and to enable rolling updates for SQL Server.
I use a Fibre Channel SAN, with the LUNs presented on the Proxmox host.

The LUNs are mounted into the guest systems as follows (for example):
Code:
scsi2: /dev/mapper/sqlcluster-quorum,cache=none,shared=1,aio=native,discard=on,serial=QM000000005
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

Unfortunately, Windows does not accept the disks with the message (translated from German):
The physical disk ... does not support the Query Data (VPD Descriptor according to SCSI Page 83h) required for failover clustering. Status: The request is not supported.

The Qemu drivers and guest tools are installed on Windows.

Are there any settings that can be adjusted to support VPD? Are there any alternative methods of integration (other than iSCSI), such as virtual WWNs?

Hello. Have you found some solution for that ?
PS: i need to do the same, but with ceph and without a FC SAN.

No, we have paused this project because, unfortunately, we have not found a solution yet.

Hi khblenk
Vital Product Data (i.e., VPD) page 0x83 is the "Device Identification" page (see the SCSI Primary Commands specification). It is a table that contains descriptors that describe the SCSI device and transport protocols applied to a logical unit.

Basic VPD support does not unlock support for Windows Failover Clusters. The next hurdle would be support for persistent reservations, which requires strict management of initiator port identification bindings.

Note that QEMU has enough functionality to do full passthough. If you are using SCSI-compliant storage, installing a Windows 2022 Failover cluster and passing storage validation is possible. As one data point, it works without issue with Proxmox on Blockbridge (using raw device paths). However, we natively support iSCSI, which simplifies things significantly.

I'm unsure how you would get FC storage to work easily in this application. Managing the combination of FC, multi-pathing, and persistent reservations is complicated.

@f.cuseo
Windows failover clusters require robust support for SCSI persistent reservations: CEPH, NFS, and LVM are not options. Emulated reservation support may be an option in some cases (perhaps using the discontinued CEPH iSCSI Gateway). However, given the complexity and risk, I would proceed with extreme caution.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
I'm attempting to install a Windows Server 2022 Failover Cluster within my Proxmox environment to provide additional protection against operating system failures and to enable rolling updates for SQL Server.
I use a Fibre Channel SAN, with the LUNs presented on the Proxmox host.

The LUNs are mounted into the guest systems as follows (for example):
Code:
scsi2: /dev/mapper/sqlcluster-quorum,cache=none,shared=1,aio=native,discard=on,serial=QM000000005
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

Unfortunately, Windows does not accept the disks with the message (translated from German):
The physical disk ... does not support the Query Data (VPD Descriptor according to SCSI Page 83h) required for failover clustering. Status: The request is not supported.

The Qemu drivers and guest tools are installed on Windows.

Are there any settings that can be adjusted to support VPD? Are there any alternative methods of integration (other than iSCSI), such as virtual WWNs?

Hi!
Change the disk controller (scsihw) to the default(LSI ... ),
and do not use "discard=on" on disks, it will work.

I also do not recommend to use any virtio-* emulation for Windows.

Last edited:
Hi khblenk
Vital Product Data (i.e., VPD) page 0x83 is the "Device Identification" page (see the SCSI Primary Commands specification). It is a table that contains descriptors that describe the SCSI device and transport protocols applied to a logical unit.

Basic VPD support does not unlock support for Windows Failover Clusters. The next hurdle would be support for persistent reservations, which requires strict management of initiator port identification bindings.

Note that QEMU has enough functionality to do full passthough. If you are using SCSI-compliant storage, installing a Windows 2022 Failover cluster and passing storage validation is possible. As one data point, it works without issue with Proxmox on Blockbridge (using raw device paths). However, we natively support iSCSI, which simplifies things significantly.

I'm unsure how you would get FC storage to work easily in this application. Managing the combination of FC, multi-pathing, and persistent reservations is complicated.

@f.cuseo
Windows failover clusters require robust support for SCSI persistent reservations: CEPH, NFS, and LVM are not options. Emulated reservation support may be an option in some cases (perhaps using the discontinued CEPH iSCSI Gateway). However, given the complexity and risk, I would proceed with extreme caution.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thank you for your support. We don't use Windows Failover cluster directly, but we need to setup a cluster for one of our customers.
I will take a look at blockbridge, but i don't know if is possible to add servers and license costs :(
We only need less than 8Tbyte of usable space, but with the maximum availability, and better if we can backup the whole windows vms with PBS.

We don't use Windows Failover cluster directly, but we need to setup a cluster for one of our customers.
Understood. To clarify, I was speaking of running a nested Windows Failover cluster within PVE.

@emunt6

Thanks for your contribution. However, OP asked about Windows Server 2022. From what I understand, Windows no longer supports drivers for older LSI controllers. We covered this in our technote series on the Windows 2022 server: https://kb.blockbridge.com/technote...part-1.html#windows-server-2022-driver-status

Note that this technical series also covers the significance of Virtio's performance and efficiency gains.
I cannot attest to the correctness or completeness of SCSI passthrough on those older controllers. Regardless, OP must be confident in managing the SCSI initiator identities used for persistent reservations, as they are essential to correctness and integrity.

Lastly, it's worth clarifying that Windows cluster compliance validation test referenced in my original reply was run with virtio-scsi. So, we can confirm that it works!

Reactions: emunt6

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!