Suggestion: Add a Cloning tab in Proxmox VE beside the migration tab. Please?

pmard

May 23, 2011
With amazement I have just experienced the online migration at work in KVM. It took 45 seconds to do the full w2k8r2 online migration in my Supermicro/Scale setup. Great!!!

I would like to suggest a new tab in the Proxmox web interface.

Beside the Migration tab: a Clone tab. This tab would lead you to a pane where you insert the new information for the clone such as Name, IP, GW, NS and so on, just to avoid going through the time consuming installation/pathing of the Windows 2008 server repeatedly. Are there any plans for this typw of enhancement at this time?

Is there a simple way to do this from the command line?

Please advice.

Cheers,
///peo

Beside the Migration tab: a Clone tab. This tab would lead you to a pane where you insert the new information for the clone such as Name, IP, GW, NS and so on, just to avoid going through the time consuming installation/pathing of the Windows 2008 server repeatedly.

Just tell me how to implement that. Clone is a very difficult operation, because you need to change information inside the VM (ssh keys, ...)

For us, it would be really useful even with the restriction of the to-be-cloned-vm having to be shut down. Clone, start new vm, change settings, start original vm.
And for OpenVZ vms, it should not be a problem anyway - IP is set "from outside", doing it with simple scripts works for us...

Setting the IP is not not the problem.

"works for us" => means it propably depends on "purpose" and "usage" - if the use case does not bother about "ssh keys" or whatever besides "IP", a cloning functionality could still be useful even if not being 'perfect'.
Even in case of VMs running flavours of "Windows" this might be true - yes, dealing with SID or activation issues might be something for those commercial cloning tools - but perhaps a "raw" clone still might be useful in a simple HA scenario...

I've bookmarked libguestfs for this kind of tasks. It seems to have powerful tools to work with VM images, and even some specifically with W$ ones.
But still haven't had the occasion to play with it.

Hope it helps

I've bookmarked libguestfs for this kind of tasks. It seems to have powerful tools to work with VM images, and even some specifically with W$ ones.
But still haven't had the occasion to play with it.

Hope it helps

thanks for the pointer, looks really interesting; but it does not seem to be a feasable option for proxmox environments ('higher' kernel requirements). There's also 'virt-clone' - but this is based on libvirt, and therefore probably also not practical on a proxmox system.

Yes, that would be a great option of cloning a virtual machine that's been already setup.

Or, possibly, creating a backup and restoring to a new VM Id would be similar (I haven't tried this) but it seems doable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!