Suggested self-built server components? and PCI-e SSD in lieu of RAM?

jemenake

Aug 30, 2015
I'm interested in using Proxmox rack server with the intent of hosting about 30 Win7 VM's, and I'm planning to build it myself. First off, can anybody recommend any mobo/proc combinations which have worked well for them?

Most importantly, I'm interested in ways in which I can lower the cost of all of the RAM. Buying 120GB (4GB per VM) would get pretty darned expensive... probably dominating the budget. Now, in the past, I've put SSD's into sluggish 2GB-of-RAM workstations and it sped up the paging so much that adding more RAM didn't even speed the computer up any more (granted, these were on workstations with older CPU's and RAM... but, still, I would have expected going from 2GB to 4GB would cause some performance boost, but I saw none). So, I'm wondering if the same trick can be used with a Proxmox server. If I went with less RAM, say, 48-64GB instead of 120GB... and then had the system using a latest-gen PCI-e SSD exclusively as swap... might this still allow me to run 30 Win7 VM's? Has this been tried, already?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!