Subject: Issue with SATA Controller Not Resetting

zgm

Dec 27, 2023
I am encountering an issue where the SATA controller cannot be reset.

Error Log:

kvm: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:17.0, no available reset mechanism.
kvm: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:17.0, no available reset mechanism.

Issue Description: The virtual machine, which has the SATA controller passed through, experiences intermittent crashes/hangs, especially when the virtual machine is performing load-intensive read/write operations on the hard disk under the SATA controller.

There was an instance where the virtual machine crashed at 9:51, but there seems to be no abnormal log for this time period in the Syslog panel of PVE:

Dec 27 08:17:01 pve CRON[93383]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Dec 27 11:06:28 pve pvedaemon[1231]: <root@pam> successful auth for user 'root@pam'

I am unsure why the “Cannot reset device 0000:00:17.0, no available reset mechanism” error would cause a crash. I suspect that the virtual machine might need full management functionality of the SATA controller.

PVE Version and Hardware Model: The current PVE version is the latest 8.1.3, and the kernel version is Linux pve 6.5.11-7-pve. When the kernel version was 6.2.16-xx, there were three devices that could not be reset: the network card, SATA controller, and graphics card.

After upgrading to 6.5.xxx, without any additional related settings, only one issue remains. Could this indicate that it is not a hardware fault?

root@pve:~# lspci -k

00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 7a62 (rev 11)
DeviceName: Onboard - SATA
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 7270
Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
Kernel modules: ahci

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

There are several threads about (on-board) SATA controllers that don't work with passthrough on this forum. Some have information about which SATA controller to buy that does work.

There are several threads about (on-board) SATA controllers that don't work with passthrough on this forum. Some have information about which SATA controller to buy that does work.
Alright, but please pay attention to what I said earlier. When the kernel version is 6.2.* or lower, more hardware errors occur. After updating to the latest version, only the passthrough SATA controller (00:17.0) remains, which reports a fault. I believe this indicates that it’s very likely not a problem with the onboard SATA controller hardware itself not supporting passthrough or a hardware issue, but rather that the kernel or driver is not well compatible.

As for similar issues reported by others in the past, I still think it’s possible that PVE (or Linux) has not well compatible with the corresponding controller models. So when they encounter this problem, they switch the passthrough SATA controller interface, which can only be said to be evading the problem itself. I don’t think the official website lacks the ability to solve it, it just takes time for the system to be compatible with these devices.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!