Stuck on Loading initial ramdisk

Reymouth

Nov 24, 2023
Hello,

I've been experiencing an issue since version 8.0.5 of proxmox-kernel-helper. My KVM doesn't allow me to log in and remains stuck on "Loading initial ramdisk."

I can access the hypervisor via SSH and the WebUI, but this behavior isn't normal.

I've updated to version 8.0.9 of proxmox-kernel-helper, but the issue persists. However, reverting back to 8.0.4 resolves it.
Between versions 8.0.4 and 8.0.5, I noticed a commit "drop auto-adding the simplefb module to initramfs" that seems to be causing this malfunction.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231124_103607.png
    Screenshot_20231124_103607.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 54
I have had the same issue. The only thing I can add is if I load a previous PVE version under the advanced bootup setting the error goes away. I can't remember which one but I had to go 2 versions back and the recovery version

This worked for me:
To recap in case other comes to this thread:
echo "simplefb" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
update-initramfs -u -k 6.5.11-4-pve (or update-initramfs -u -k all)
# reboot

Last edited:
Reactions: Reymouth
I have had the same issue. The only thing I can add is if I load a previous PVE version under the advanced bootup setting the error goes away. I can't remember which one but I had to go 2 versions back and the recovery version

This worked for me:
To recap in case other comes to this thread:
echo "simplefb" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
update-initramfs -u -k 6.5.11-4-pve (or update-initramfs -u -k all)
# reboot
Hello.

Looks like I have the same problem.

While I am in the "Loading initial ramdisk" screen, how do I actually enter the commands you sent?
I know I have to enter these commands in a terminal. But how do I actually enter the terminal?

I am a complete newbie. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!

Reactions: tcotiago
I have the same problem, plus I lost access to the Gui/Web proxmox after adding an nvme disk. Now I don't know what to do.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!