[SOLVED] Stuck loading initial ramdisk

Davidtw

Nov 3, 2022
I am trying to install proxmox 7.2 on my system, but when I boot from the flash drive, and select install, it just stops at loading initial ramdisk.

I am running a intel 12900k cpu, MSI MAG Z690 motherboard a radeon rx 580 graphics card, 64gb of ram, and two 4k monitors.

Here is what I have done so far
1- checked my bios to make sure virtulization was enabled (it was).
2- tried using debug mode (same results)
3- tried using nomodeset (same results)
4- tried testing the ram (it just brought up a blank screen, and froze there).
5- tried using proxmox 7.1 (same results)

I am not sure what else to do

That's odd. At this point I would try booting some other Linux distro, e.g. a Ubuntu installer. Would be interesting to see if it also happens there.
Are you booting via UEFI or via legacy BIOS?

Yes, I can boot into other linux distros, in fact my regular operating system is currently ubuntu 22.10. I also dual boot with mx linux, and windows 11.

I am using UEFI

Thanks!

Here are some updates.
1- I tried using one older monitor (non 4k). Same results
2- I tried using one 4k monitor connected to my integrated graphics (rx 580 removed). It worked. It looks like after the loading initial ram disk, it changed the display to a full screen, when this happens, it freezes using the rx 580 card.
3- I tried switching back to the 580, and when I did I noticed this came up on the screen (during POST). "there is no gdp (graphics output protocol) support detected in this card 'Bios CSM/UEFI mode' settings in Bios will be changed to 'CSM'.

Now I am searching to figure out what exactly that means, and how to fix it.

It looks like the problem was that I was using an old video card that had the bios flashed for mining. I replaced the card, and now it is working

Interesting, wouldn't have thought about something like this. Great that you've found a solution. :)

I have a same problem .It only boot when I type the grub cmd by manual.
I move the boot disk to another machine and auto boot successed .So I move the disk back ,It works again。

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!