Strange behavior with the CPU units !

Nicolas

Jun 19, 2011
Hi,

I'm testing Proxmox last build (pve-manager/1.8/6070 - Linux 2.6.32-4-pve #1 SMP Mon May 9 12:59:57 CEST 2011) on an Intel E5645 (6 cores - 2.4GHz).
I have set to on the Hypertreading, so it's like 12 cores !

I have created 4 KVM (all in Debian 6 32Bits, IDE), and set different CPU Units for each.

I make an vzcpucheck -v command on the Proxmox host, and i see this :

VEID CPUUNITS
-------------------------
0 1000
104 83333
101 20000
102 83333
103 250000
Current CPU utilization: 437666
Power of the node: 1439725

But the prob is that inside Proxmox i have make this CPU Unit's settings :

104 : 80000
101 : 20000
102 : 80000
103 : 200000

So why those differences : 80000 -> 83333 / 200000 -> 250000 ?

I have see furthermore when i try the VIRTUO DD, there is any information with the vzcpucheck -v command, why ?

Thanks for your help !

Hi,

Inside each my VDS i use the 2.6.32-5 Kernel
My Proxmox host use the kernel installed by the ISO CD : 2.6.32-4-pve

So i need to downgrade to the 2.6.18, for the VDS, the Proxmox server or the two ?

If the 2.6.32 has have bug, why install Proxmox with it ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i have downgrade to the 2.6.18 kernel, like say in your link, and my server don't boot !
I have try on an other test server (just proxmox installed, no vm) and it don't boot too !

2 servers down : good day !

I don't know if i need to say thanks, or go back to Citrix ...
Sorry i'm got angry !

Last edited:
if your hardware does not run with 2.6.18 (kernel is based on rhel5) you need to keep 2.6.32.

if you expect any help here you need to give details - just saying it does not work will not give anyone a chance to help.

Ok i have downgrade to the 2.6.18 kernel, like say in your link, and my server don't boot !
I have try on an other test server (just proxmox installed, no vm) and it don't boot too !

2 servers down : good day !

I don't know if in need to say thanks, or go back to Citrix ...

You got something for free from the internet, it did broke and instead of fixing it you are complaining that it did broke in the first place. Don't have skills needed to fix it? Pay the proxmox guys for support, that's even easier than "going back to citrix"

if your hardware does not run with 2.6.18 (kernel is based on rhel5) you need to keep 2.6.32.

if you expect any help here you need to give details - just saying it does not work will not give anyone a chance to help.

I've nether said "It doens't work" about my prob, see my first message, it's work but with incorects values, like i have described it.
If you say that for the servers down, sorry i can't say now why they are down, beceause the servers are at 50 kilometers from my house in a DataCenter, and i haven't the time today to go to see.
So following the next episode ...

So if I understand correctly, to solve my problem of CPU Unit, I have to go into 2.6.18, but if my equipment is not compatible with this Kernel, this means that in my case Proxmox, will not allow me to allocate different CPU Unit on my vds ?
And therefore my VPS will share the power of my processor at the same height ? Mentioned limits without any power to distribute this type using KVM ?

Sory i'm not english, and i don't speak really good english.
But i'm sure that the rest of my question can be understand (exept the last sentence) !

So if i can't pass on the 2.6.18 kernel, (hardware does not run with 2.6.18) my VPS (KVM) will work but without the possibilities for me to adjust the CPU UNIT.
And in this case how the VPS use the CPU ? Each VPS can use 100% of the CPU everytime ?

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!