Storage options - two nodes, one is getting a new HDD

voarsh

Nov 20, 2020
I have a 1 TB HDD drive shipping soon.
I had planned for it to go on a node (before it was a node).
I am running quite a few things on the master and I can see disks are getting full - I definitely don't want to run any backups.

So what are my options?
I've always hated linux and expanding drives....

Best add a new drive to just one node? Move stuff there?
Clone the old drive and put it on the new node's drive? Will PROXMOX handle the bigger disk size, or do I need to get my hands dirty?

I have no idea how to control disk allocation and how PROXMOX decides to split up local/lvm disks. I don't feel comfortable that enough disk has been given to one of my VM's. I gave it 300 GB's and it only allotted 150 GB's.

Alternatives?
Shared drive?

Last edited:
So depending upon how your system is configured, you could potentially do one of the following.

If your main storage is using LVM for the disks, you could add the new hard drive to the system and add it to the "pve" LVM Volume Group. This would extend the amount of space available to be used by your system.

If your main storage is a directory shared to the OS, if you used LVM to create the filesystem, then you could use the same method to expand the disk. If not you could add a new local storage directory and mount it, and then share the new storage to the OS.

I can assist you with the LVM stuff as it is very easy to do.

So depending upon how your system is configured, you could potentially do one of the following.

If your main storage is using LVM for the disks, you could add the new hard drive to the system and add it to the "pve" LVM Volume Group. This would extend the amount of space available to be used by your system.

If your main storage is a directory shared to the OS, if you used LVM to create the filesystem, then you could use the same method to expand the disk. If not you could add a new local storage directory and mount it, and then share the new storage to the OS.

I can assist you with the LVM stuff as it is very easy to do.
A little bit annoyed, but the purchase of my 1 TB drive arrived faulty and can't get a replacement.
I'll need to return and get another one.

Thanks for your offer. I'll update the thread when I actually get my new 1 TB drive. Hopefully in a week or so.

Main storage is shared with OS/PROXMOX is installed on the "main" HDD.

I just wanted to ask, I have a 4 TB USB 3 HDD, on a remote computer attached to the network, would I be able to add it inside Proxmox as a shared network drive to store disks?
The HDD drive is running on a Windows machine however.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!